The Different Between I-shape and L-shape for Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Hello.My surgery will be in a month. On my consultation,my PS showed me a picture how my nose will look like after the surgery but he said it will be a little bit different compare to the picture. I'm asian (female) , my nose is flat and wide, the tip of my nose is round. So i will get dorsal implant and alar wedge but will the tip of my nose change from round to pointy or i have to specify that with my PS? I heard that the L-shape is not good for Asian patients , why is that?

Asian Nasal Bridge and Tip Augmentation

+1

Dear Th3292,

Thank you for sharing you photo.

As you have mentioned, Asian noses are to be addressed in a specific manner and I believe that that L-shaped is the best fit as it will target the dorsum and the tip.

You could have an autologous graft (Rib cartilage) or a synthetic one (silicone- custom carved). This is best determined by the surgeon you will be choosing.

I recommend that you seek consultation with a surgeon of ample experience with Asian Rhinoplasty as special considerations are to be taken in your case.

Best of Luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Asian dorsal implant types

+1

It would be best for you to discuss your desires with your plastic surgeon. the L shaped implants tend to treat the tip more than an I-shaped implant. I tend to lean toward using a patient's own cartilage when performing this type of augmentation surgery as I prefer the aethestic results using this method, especially when trying to improve tip definition.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nasal implant selection

+1

Augmentation of the asian nose generally requires some degree of increased projection. This is why implants are used so that the bridge and tip can be augmented. L shaped implants are often ideal because they augment the bridge and the tip. An alternative would be to augment the bridge with and implant and use your own cartillage to project and therby narrow your tip. Both are very common and can work equally well.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon