Is the Hump on my Nose Too Large for Filing/rasping It? (photo)

I'm strongly insecure about the profile of my face because of this hump I have. I'm completely fine with it face-on. Can I just get it filed down instead of having the full out surgery performed on it or is it too large to be rasped down? Also, would this procedure be cheaper compared to rhinoplasty that involves breakage of the nose's bones? Are there any risks to it? And I'm aware that more would have to be done to my nose due to the "open roof". Would that be done during the same session?

Is the Hump on my Nose Too Large for Filing/rasping It?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, from the photos supplied, the dorsal hump is quite minor and the reason one side appears diffrent than the other is most likely a small variation in nasal bone thickness on the two sides.  Small dortsal humps and variations are best addressed using rasps to file down these imperfections during a Closed Rhinoplasty.  It's only when the dorsal humps are greater than 2-3mm's that their removal necessitates breaking the bones to close the "open roof" caused by removing the hump.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty is definitly possible

+1

We are all our own worst critics. From the photos, your bump on your bridge appears to be relativly average when compared to my typical rhinoplasty patient. You are a good candidate from the photos. Most humps can be safely rasped down.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Nono-Osteotomy Hump Rhinoplasty Reduction

+1

As most of your small bump is really cartilage and only a small portion of it actual bone, your hump reduction would do nicely with cartilage shaving and bone rasping. Note that most of your hump sits low on the bridge not high.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Based on your photos, you may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty to camouflage the bump on your nose.

+1

I reviewed your concerns and your photos:

Your dorsal hump is fairly small, and you may consider consulting a reputable specialist familiar with the delicate art of using fillers in the nose. My experience with non-surgical rhinoplasty is with Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Hump

+1

I have never met a nasal hump that I did not like.  In other words, experienced Cosmetic Surgeons will reduce your dorsal hump to suite your "best looking self."

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is hump to large

+1

it appears that you would be able to get by with only a conservative hump reduction. If an open roof did occur then you would need an osteotomy.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rasping Nasal Hump

+1

Looking at the pictures I'm not sure if the hump is in just the bone or also in the cartilage. If it is just in the cartilage no bones will be broken. If it is in the bone, you and the surgeon will decide if you brake the bones or remove just enough to avoid having to do the osteotomies. You do not have to do a full rhinoplasty. Braking your bones will add little to the cost of rasping the excess.

+1

The photos are posted very nicely. But only in person evaluation are going to allow a definitive diagnosis. In my opinion you are border line the filing vs hump removal and fractures. I'm leaning toward fractures. 

It's up to the surgeon

+1

A rhinoplasty is a rhinoplasty. Don't second guess the surgeon, each has their own way of dealing with different problems. If you don't like your nose, find a Plastic Surgeon you are happy with and then let them decide what is the best way to correct your problem and give you the result you want. There are no easy nose jobs - and don't cut corners. There is very little pain and recovery is rapid, weather the bones are broken or not.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

+1

The bump on your bridge could either be rasped or taken down with an osteotome. There is a small chance that you will have an open roof deformity requiring lateral osteotomies. This would be performed during the same procedure. Your plastic surgeon will be able to assess the need for osteotomies during surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon