What is the Likely Hood I Will Lose Nipple Sensitivity with a BA, Nipple Incision? (photo)

I am considering a breast augmentation with a nipple incision. My nipples are very sensitive now and I would like to loose nipple sensitivity permenently (I can not even handle them being touched right now). I have 4 children with A cup breasts. What is the likely hood i will loose sensitivity? Is a nipple incision the best likly hood to loose sensitivity?

What is the Likely Hood I Will Lose Nipple Sensitivity with a BA, Nipple Incision?

+2

Reading your question a few times I understand you want to lose the N/A sensitivity. Correct? Than by all means use the periareolar incision, this may help in decreasing the feeling in your N/A complexes. The way you worded your question has confused many of the expert posters. 

Incision

+1
The incision location you are mentioning has a much higher chance of alteration in nipple sensation than IMC or armpit incisions 

Nipple Sensitivity Loss

+1

Although the risk of permanent sensation loss is very low, it is possible to see temporary sensation changes that take 3-6 months to return.   I typically warn patients that the larger the implant that is placed, the higher the risk of sensation changes.     This is because the sensory nerve to the nipple and areola will be stretched by the implant.    The good news is that most cases stretch injury to the nerve results are temporary.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Nipple sensitivity

+1

Going through a periareola approach may or may not cause a change of your sensation.  Some say larger implants may cause sensory changes because of the potential for stretch.

Loss of nipple sensation based on type of incision

+1

While you may lose some or all nipple sensation with any of the common incisions for breast augmentation, the chances are small with all of them.  In my experience, there is a slightly higher risk of this with periareolar incisions.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Risk of sensory loss is low despite periaerolar augmentation

+1

There have been reports of a greater chance of change in nipple sensation after periareolar breast implants, though we all have not had the same experience in practice. We have little loss with periareolar augmentation, though very large implants which stress and stretch the tissues can cause loss of feeling. We suggest you use the incision which fits with your preference for the scar, and will fit with the implant you require.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Loss of Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Augmentation.

+1

After 30 years and several thousand breast augments using all 3 common approaches, I don't feel there is any difference at all in loss of sensitivity of the nipple based on the incision. The nerves giving nipple sensitivity come through between the ribs near the outer edge of the breast. I have had a very few patients over my career request what you are requesting. The surgeon can try to divide the nerves if you like but there is no guarantee there may not be a nerve missed and there is also no guarantee the post op sensitivity might be altered in a bad way rather than simple numbness.

Which incision is best for breat augmentation and nipple sensitivity

+1

The preference for incisions to place breast implants is somewhat of a personal preference of the plastic surgeon so you will hear different advice. I personally believe that there is a higher incidence of decreased sensation with the areolar approach as well I believe the literature that states there is a higher incidence of capsular contracture from that approach. I would never approach a surgery with the goal being to decrease nipple sensitivity so I'm not sure if that was your goal. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://www.medwardsmd.com/plasticsurgery_questions1.html

Nipple Sensation Loss With Augmentation

+1

Loss of nipple sensation can occur following breast augmentation.  I see it in 3-4% of cases.  In my practice there does not seem to be a higher liklihood of loss with a periareolar incision.  There is some indication, however, that there may be a higher rate of subacute infection and capsular contracture with areolar incisions.

Incision location for augmentation

+1

There have been studies that show more sensitivity after periareolar incisions than after inframammary fold incisions, but this does not guarantee that you will have diminished or loss of sensation by choosing this approach.  I would not recommend using this criteria as a reason to choose incision placement.  Sensory loss can occur with any incision location.