What is the Likely Hood I Will Lose Nipple Sensitivity with a BA, Nipple Incision? (photo)

I am considering a breast augmentation with a nipple incision. My nipples are very sensitive now and I would like to loose nipple sensitivity permenently (I can not even handle them being touched right now). I have 4 children with A cup breasts. What is the likely hood i will loose sensitivity? Is a nipple incision the best likly hood to loose sensitivity?

What is the Likely Hood I Will Lose Nipple Sensitivity with a BA, Nipple Incision?

+2

Reading your question a few times I understand you want to lose the N/A sensitivity. Correct? Than by all means use the periareolar incision, this may help in decreasing the feeling in your N/A complexes. The way you worded your question has confused many of the expert posters. 

What is the likelihood I will lose nipple sensitivity with a BA, nipple incision?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

I want to loose nipple sensitivity

+1
Dear skmom,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with hyper-sensitivity. If you are intending to lose sensitivity because of pain, then your surgeon can cut across the likely path of the nerve, but there is no guarantee that this will work.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Incision

+1
The incision location you are mentioning has a much higher chance of alteration in nipple sensation than IMC or armpit incisions 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Nipple Sensitivity Loss

+1

Although the risk of permanent sensation loss is very low, it is possible to see temporary sensation changes that take 3-6 months to return.   I typically warn patients that the larger the implant that is placed, the higher the risk of sensation changes.     This is because the sensory nerve to the nipple and areola will be stretched by the implant.    The good news is that most cases stretch injury to the nerve results are temporary.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Nipple sensitivity

+1

Going through a periareola approach may or may not cause a change of your sensation.  Some say larger implants may cause sensory changes because of the potential for stretch.

Loss of nipple sensation based on type of incision

+1

While you may lose some or all nipple sensation with any of the common incisions for breast augmentation, the chances are small with all of them.  In my experience, there is a slightly higher risk of this with periareolar incisions.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Loss of Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Augmentation.

+1

After 30 years and several thousand breast augments using all 3 common approaches, I don't feel there is any difference at all in loss of sensitivity of the nipple based on the incision. The nerves giving nipple sensitivity come through between the ribs near the outer edge of the breast. I have had a very few patients over my career request what you are requesting. The surgeon can try to divide the nerves if you like but there is no guarantee there may not be a nerve missed and there is also no guarantee the post op sensitivity might be altered in a bad way rather than simple numbness.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Which incision is best for breat augmentation and nipple sensitivity

+1

The preference for incisions to place breast implants is somewhat of a personal preference of the plastic surgeon so you will hear different advice. I personally believe that there is a higher incidence of decreased sensation with the areolar approach as well I believe the literature that states there is a higher incidence of capsular contracture from that approach. I would never approach a surgery with the goal being to decrease nipple sensitivity so I'm not sure if that was your goal. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Nipple Sensation Loss With Augmentation

+1

Loss of nipple sensation can occur following breast augmentation.  I see it in 3-4% of cases.  In my practice there does not seem to be a higher liklihood of loss with a periareolar incision.  There is some indication, however, that there may be a higher rate of subacute infection and capsular contracture with areolar incisions.

John Whitt, MD