What is Causing This Upper Abdominal Bulge 8 Months Post TT? (photo)

After full TT in Apr/11 I have had a bulge (spongy to touch) just above my BB. PS said it was swelling and ab muscles did not reseperate. Long story short, my ab muscles DID reseperate from BB up to the breastbone. 3 wks ago I had it repaired with another PS endoscopically at which time he found a 1cm ventral hernia, which he fixed. I STILL have this bulge (firm to touch now). PS said it was soft tissue & swelling. No hernia and muscles are as tight as they can get! Any advice or input? Pic enc

Supraumbilical swelling after tummy tuck and muscle re-repair

+1

It is definitely possible given your history and the timeline that your bulge is indeed the result of soft tissue swelling. This may take at least 4 - 6 months to significantly improve. Other possibilities are a fluid accumulation  (seroma) and re-breakage of the repair. A physical examination can better discern which of these possibilities is the culprit.

Continued Swelling

+1

Without examining you, it is difficult to give specific advice.  However, if they say it is just swelling, I would wait and let it settle for 3 to 4 months.  If there is no improvement, then I would ask your surgeon about localized liposuction to that area.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Repeat buldge after rectus muscle repair

+1

You might have a seroma and this can be detected by an ultrasound looking for drainable fluid.  If this is present, removing the fluid should make this buldge better.  Otherwise it is either swelling in the tissues or possibly, but not likely, another breakdown of your repair.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Bulging

+1

It is too early to determine your results and swelling will be present at this point in your recovery. It is best to follow up with your surgeon and ask questions directly about your progress.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Bulge after Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At 3 weeks postop  the “bulge” is probably either soft tissue,  swelling of the tissues,  or fluid accumulation (seroma).   Repeat examination by your plastic surgeon may be the best way for you to achieve peace of mind.