Does Health Insurance Cover Lipo?

Does Health Insurance Cover Lipo?

Insurance covers liposuction?

+1
You will have to consult your insurance provider to find out if your liposuction is covered. However, in general, the answer would be no.

Liposuction covered by insurance?

+1

Generally speaking, liposuction is not covered by insurance.  It is usually considered a cosmetic procedure.  The only way to know for sure is to contact your insurance provider and ask about the particulars of your policy.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Does Insurance Cover Liposuction?

+1

Don't worry because we get that question a lot!

Insurance considers liposuction to be cosmetic surgery. Were you thinking about weight loss and how that might improve your health so that maybe it would be covered?

Insurance sometimes will cover nutritional counseling and even YMCA memberships, but no insurance that I have come across, will cover liposuction.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Will insurance cover liposuction

+1
Likely not. However, if you are morbidly obese and diabetic on insulin, your carrier may cover in-hospital large volume liposuction. You would need to check with your carrier and you would likely need supporting documentation from your primary care doctor that this would definitely improve your diabetes.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Insurance and Liposuction

+1

I know of no situation other than when liposuction is performed as part of a covered breast reduction in which liposuction is covered by insurance.  Liposuction is an elective procedure and therefore not a covered procedure.  The costs for the liposuction are therefore the responsibility of the patient.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Covered By Insurance

+1

Thanks for your question -

Generally liposuction is considered a cosmetic operation.  Liposuction may be covered if part of breast reconstruction (donor site or contralateral breast) or to treat lipodystrophy that develops as result of a medical problem.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Insurance and liposuction

+1

Yes - but rarely, unpredictably only for a proven medical reason. 

• I once had a patient with a single small area of fat deposit from insulin injections that was chronically irritated by clothing. Insurance paid.

But twice I have had insurance companies 'approve' liposuction and refuse to pay afterwards.

Surgeons have bills to pay. So today we treat all liposuction as cosmetic.  Sorry about the bad news!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction

+1

I have been doing Liposuction for years. I have never had a health insurance company cover for the procedure. At least for now it is strictly considered cosmetic

Misbah Khan, MD

Sorry, but liposuction is never covered by any insurance.

+1

Sorry, but liposuction is never covered by any health insurance no matter the diagnosis or condition. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Insurance and liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure.  No insurance company offers payment or coverage for cosmetic surgery.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon