What Are the Healing Stages of Cellulaze?

I am 6 weeks post op and I see more larger bumps than before the procedure. I am trying not to look in the mirror every day, as I understand it's a slow healing process. Could you explain the biological stages after the procedure? Are there any pictures of patients at different stages that we could see to help us understand? Thank you for your feedback!!

Time to heal from Cellulaze procedure

+3

As the other surgeons have stated, it will take time to heal from the procedure, usually 3-6 months, but you can continue to have improvements for up to a year.  The swelling is probably local tissue inflammtion from the healing process that should resolve over the next few months.

Healing time after Cellulaze

+2

The healing process after a Cellulaze treatment can be expected to last 3-6 months.  During that period of time, your treated areas will go through many changes.  Often, there is an initial improvement in the appearance due to swelling.  As that swelling subsides (at different rates in different places), the treated area can return to its original appearance or look worse.  But over some time, the results will eventually become apparent.  Patience is truly a virtue when dealing with Cellulaze. 

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Healing after Cellulaze

+2

Cellulaze requires patience....a lot of patience.  It's difficult to have a procedure done and then wait weeks to months to see results.  During this time it is almost quite common for the treated areas and sometimes even surrounding/adjacent areas to look worse.  This is all a matter of swelling and fluid collection.  Though the procedure seems minimal at the surface because of the small incisions and the use of laser to treat the tissue, what is happening beneath the surface is much more involved and does take the body some time to recover. (much longer than the incisions at the surface)  We strongly recommend our patients have Smoothshapes or lymphatic massage for just this reason--to help mobilize the fluids and have a smoother result sooner. Each leg, though on the same body, can heal at different rates and even different areas on the same leg heal differently.  Follow up with your surgeon for suggestions more specific to your case and concerns--they will know best since they treated you.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

Healing stages of Cellulaze

+2

The process does take many months - from initial bruising and swelling to a sometimes disappointing return to your previous state once the initial swelling subsides, to lumpiness and then slow improvement.   We have found that massage or SmoothShapes treatments can help improve some of the lumpiness from fluid collections in the postoperative course and speed up recovery.  Tissue and skin has "memory", and it takes a while for it to change and the fluid build-up to resolve, even though your surgeon likely felt the bands actually release during the treatment.

Michelle Spring, MD

Cellulaze results

+2

It really does take 3 to 6 months to see the final results and you will really love it at that point. The lumps are due to the process and they heal at different rates. So, don't worry you still have a lot of healing left to do!

W. John Bull, MD

Cellulaze

+2

Initially for the first 4-8 weeks  you may  still see some bruising and swelling as well as experience bumps and lumpiness (caused mainly by swelling) which is all part of the natural healing process.  Remember that the results will appear better and better as time goes on.  We have seen amazing results at 6 mos out with  the skin tightening effect of the procedure.  You need to remain patient.  I know it's absolutely nomal to keep checking to see on results every day, but rest assured that you will be very happy in the end Make sure you follow up with your PS if you have concerns in the interim.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze healing

+2

Cellulaze is a very effective procedure.  But as you know, you will not be bikini ready immediately after your procedure.  Depending on the severity of your cellulite, the amount of treatment, and your activity level and your compliance with compression therapy, the swelling can last from 4 - 8 weeks.   I prepare my patients that some patients may actually look worse than better starting around week 4.  Why?  I believe it has to do with a differential resolution in swelling in the area of treatment.  It truly takes 3-6 months to see your results.  It takes that long for the 20-30% collagen growth (skin tightening/thickening and improvement in elasticity).  I'm sure you will love your results in a matter of weeks. Please followup with your PS for an assessment.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Healing after Cellulaze

+1

Cellulaze will take a few weeks to heal, be sure to wear the compression garment to keep the skin secure and help with swelling. Patients are able to return to work within 2 business days after the procedure.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Healing Stages of Cellulaze

+1

Quite possibly one of the most beneficial things about Cellulaze is the fact that there is virtually no recovery time necessary. More traditional and outdated methods of reducing the appearance of cellulite typically require extended amounts of rehab time and a great deal of pain and discomfort. However, with Cellulaze, you will be able to get back to your normal activities within just one or two days and more strenuous activities within a matter of just one or two weeks. In addition, the discomfort is minimal with Cellulaze, and the incision site is practically unnoticeable once you have healed following the procedure. In most cases there is no need for further Cellulaze treatments and there is very little risk of any side effects.

Daniel Shapiro, MD