Where Does the Hair Come from in a Hair Transplant?

I'm a female curious about getting a hair transplant to fill in bald patches on my head. Where does the hair come from used in a hair transplant? Is it taken from other parts of your body or is it donor hair? Thank you

Donor Hair for Hair Transplant in Women

+1

The donor hair in hair transplant typically comes from the patient’s own mid-occipital scalp, meaning the back of the head, (sometimes the sides of the head are used). However, if you have bald patches, as you say, your case may be unique. Some women who have extreme thinning and ample leg hair may qualify for body hair transplant.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Female Hair Transplant

+1

Our office does many female patients. As a rule female hair loss follows a different pattern then male hair loss. This is taken into consideration when retrieving donor hair. All donor hair is YOUR OWN HAIR. Nothing else works or is safe to use. For most women the hair comes from the back of the head as in male transplant work

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplants with your hair

+1
Most female hair transplants involve using donor hair from the back or sides of your scalp. Patchy hair loss should be investigated prior to considering this procedure.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

What are the sources of donor hair for a hair transplant in females.

+1

If the bald patches are from injuries or burned out inflammatory disease, then transplants could work . In women, the donor source for hair transplants by follicular unit grafting , could be from anywhere on the scalp where there is surrounding hair to cover donor sites.  Also, depending on the location and scalp laxity , the bald areas could be surgically removed and the good hair next to the baldness could be pulled over. Lastly, tissue expansion can be used to to stretch adjacent scalp to allow for removal of bald area.

The most important points to consider are the cause of the hair loss and to avoid repeating the cause cause such as traction  or habitual of pulling on the hair.

In males, the sources of donor hair for transplants has to come from areas of the scalp that are relatively immune from future male pattern baldness. Also, in cases where donor scalp hair has been exhausted from prior work, , body and beard hair can be used to salvage a result.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Female hair loss treatment.

+1

Female hair loss treatment is with flaps or grafts depending on the type. You should see a dermatologist first to fine out the cause. It may be alopecia areata, etc.

I'm a female curious about getting a hair transplant to fill in bald patches on my head. Where does the hair come from used in a

+1

The transplanted hair comes from you, typically from an area in the back and sides of the scalp where the hair follicles are resistent to thinning.  You can't have hair from someone else as this would cause a serious rejection reaction in your body.