Is the GLO Whitening System Worth the Cost?

Is this an effective/safe home whitening treatment? (http://www.gloscience.com/store/) Or am I better off having my teeth professionally whitened ? My teeth aren't extremely yellow but I'd like them to be a bit more white.

GLO Probably Isn't Healthy for Your Teeth

+1

The GLO whitening system is a pretty cool product, and I have to admire the elegance of the the system. However, if you take a look at the ingredients in the G-Vials you can see both why it will make your teeth whiter and why it isn't a healthy or sustainable option for whitening your teeth.

Here is what is in the G-Vials:

• Water/Eau (Purifed/ Purifiée), PVP-Hydrogen Peroxide, Glycerin, VP/VA Copolymer, Poloxamer 407, Carbomer, Flavor (Aroma), Etidronic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sucralose, Sodium Stannate.

That list of ingredients probably doesn't mean a whole lot to most people, but what jumps out at me is the Etidronic Acid.

Etidronic acid is a powerful calcium chelating agent, which means it will pull calcium out of your tooth enamel. Ironically, the substance also inhibits radical formation, which is actually what you want the hydrogen peroxide to do in order to break up stains. The bottom line is that it will get your teeth white, but it will do it by stripping layers off the outside of your teeth and thus have unhealthy side effects on your enamel.

Crest White Strips (though not well liked by most dentists) is a much healthier alternative for at-home whitening if done infrequently. If you are interested in the best results with limited negative effects on your enamel you should get whitening done through your dentist.

Allentown Orthodontist

I dont like home whitening kits..

+1

Home whitening kits are a over the counter product that can be harmful if used incorrectly. The trays never fit great and your results will be marginal. Dental office whitening is safe, effective and will not damage the enamel. Crest white strips have the same problem..Very minimal results..!

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

+1

If you just want to have your teeth a little lighter, then it matters a LOT what type of whitening you do.

I've been doing teeth whitening since 1989. What I have found is that everyone needs a different or customized approach. To get amazing results with teeth whitening, a number of things have to be incorporated into your plan. 

• What whitening personality type are you? (want it fast, willing to work at it)
  • What is your enamel like? (thin/some what transparent or thick)
  • Do you have sensitivity in your teeth? (this has a HUGE effect on what type of whitening you do)
  • Do you have any front teeth fillings or crowns (or porcelain veneers)?

Some people might get results with the GLO system. More than likely you'll not get the results you were hoping for and even that smaller investment will be money out the window. Not to mention that you'll have wasted the time spent as well.

Talk to a great cosmetic dentist, one that does a lot of teeth whitening. Let them direct you to what style will get the results you want.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist