What Are the Fundamental Differences Between Restylane and Perlane?

Do Restylane and Perlane both act as dermal fillers with the same reults?

How are Perlane and Restylane Different?

+1

Hello.  Restylane and Perlane are both hyaluronic acid fillers distributed by Medicis in the US.  Both products main ingredient is a synthetic form of hyaluronic acid and naturally occurring substance in the body.

Perlane is a thicker version of Restylane and is used in instances where more support is necessary.  The cheeks and temples are great areas for Perlane.

In addition, Perlane has a longer duration than Restylane.  Depending on the area injected, we usually find it lasts a couple months longer than Restylane.

Restylane vs Perlane

+1

As mentioned there are only minor differences between the two.  This issue is where to place each of these fillers.

That depends on your surgeon's experience and expertise.  As we have significant experience with both of these we decide based on the finding on examination.  it should be noted that many of the uses are FDA off label.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and Perlane

+1

As has been stated here by many, Restylane and Perlane are both hyaluronic acid fillers made by the same company, Medicis. Juvederm is hyaluronic acid filler made by a competing company, Allergan.

In general, Perlane is a thicker product used for deeper fill and "adding volume" to the face, whereas Restylane is used more superficially in finer lines. Restylane is recently FDA-approved for lip augmentation as well. I have used Restylane and Juvederm in lips and I find they are both good for that purpose, with Juvederm lasting a little longer (1-2 months longer) but at a slightly higher cost. Juvederm and Perlane are fillers I use commonly in the nasolabial fold, marionette line and deeper volume deficient areas.

Hope this helps.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Difference between Restylane and Perlane

+1

Both products are hyaluronic acid fillers sold by Medicis.  Perlane is a thicker product as a result of cross linking of the molecules.  It is injected slighty deeper than Restylane.  It is used when one wants to fill a deeper line such as  deeper naso-labial folds and marionette lines.  Restylane is used for more superficial naso-labial folds and what we call the tear trough area (which is below the eyes). 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Perlane for deeper correction, bigger problems

+1

Restylane is a smaller particle than Perlane -the number of linked together subunits is fewer and cross-linking less.  This gives a softer, smaller particle which is better suited for superficial corrections such as lips, eyelids, and wrinkles.  Perlane is better suited for deeper correction such as deep nasolabial folds, cheeks and hollowing under the cheeks. 

Lawrence Bass, MD

+1

Great question. I tell my patients a very simplistic view. Restylane is one third less concentrated than Perlane or vice versa Perlane is 3x of Restylane. Not exact figures but very understandable. 

Restylane versus Perlane

+1

Both are excellent fillers that I have used for years in my practice. They really are used differently though in terms of targeting. Perlane for a deeper line fill while Restylane is used for fine superficial lines. Basically , they last about the same and also, I use Restylane in the lips. It works great there and both are very safe.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Perlane is a thicker product than Restylane.

+1

I like to use Perlane in the laugh lines and marionette lines and  for volumizing in the cheeks temples and brows.  I like to use Restylane for the lips and for finer lines.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

What is the difference between Restylane and Perlane?

+1

Restylane and Perlane are the same hyaluronic acid dermal filler with one exception. Perlane has bigger particles than Restylane and is more suitable for deeper, larger folds and wrinkles than Restylane. 

For example, I would use Restylane for under eye hollows and lips, but Perlane for nasolabial folds.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Perlane

+1

Perlane is a larger hyaluronic acid particle size with more cross-linking than Restylane.  Perlane, because of its larger particle size and increased cross-linking, has a larger G prime than Restylane.  This means that its ability to lift tissue is greater.  For this reason, I tend to like Perlane over Restylane in the cheeks.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon