Looking into Getting the Full Abdominoplasty but Worried About Belly Button. What Can I Expect? (photo)

Thank you all for your quick responses on my last question. I know that I need to get the surgery now, the only thing I am wondering is about the belly button scar and shape. My mom recently had her tummy tuck done about 8 months ago but her belly button hole looks SO small and is such a tiny circle, it doesnt look real. Is this normal? because I have seen it often and if I am going to go to the lengths of this surgery, I want to make sure I can have a tummy I can show off again. Advice?

Belly Button after Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty is usually an Inny

+3

Thank you for your important question. The Belly Button or Umbilicus is the most visible part of a Full Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck procedure.

If the Belly Button is not reconstructed properly during the Tummy Tuck you will be very unhappy with your result.

The best method I have found to create an attractive Belly Button during Abdominoplasty is to suture the stalk of the belly button beneath the skin to the muscle underneath.

This pulls the belly button into an Inny configuration and hides most of the scar.

Check my ful tummy tuck photos and the link below.

Natural Looking Belly Button Following Tummy Tuck

+1

A full abdominoplasty requires the surgical creation of a new belly button. Creating the new belly button, which is called an umbilicoplasty, is a part of tummy tuck surgery that requires a great deal of attention and finesse on the part of the surgeon. My goal is to create a new belly button that, as much as possible, resembles a 'natural' belly button. Natural belly buttons do NOT look like a perfect circle, and circular umbilicoplasty scars are a tummy tuck dead giveaway.

The technique I use for umbilicoplasty is designed to create a slightly 'hooded' appearance to the upper half of the belly button, an appearance that is generally considered fit and athletic. Not all patients have the goal of wearing a two-piece swimsuit, but many do, and I want these patients to be able to do so without feeling self-conscious about the appearance of their new belly button.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Your navel should look natural after an abdominoplasty

+1

Look at before and after photos provided by your surgeon to get an idea of how the navel will look after abdominoplasty.  You should see many.  If you don't like them, get another opinion.

Belly button

+1

You apppear to be a good candidate to undergo an abdominoplasty, and you are wise to scrutinize  how the  umbilcus is dealt with as part of the procedure. This si paricularly true if you expect to wear a 2 piece bathing suit.  There are many different techniques for designing the new umbilicus.  Some surgeons use a circular pattern, others use a diamond shape or a heart.  As far as the size of the umbilicus, I tend to err on the side of a smaller umbilicus.  As the area heals, the final size  may either stretch out leaving  a larger belly button which I think looks very conspicuous. Also, if you don't like the final size, it is much easier to enlarge an umbilicus which is too small than to try to reduce  one that is too large.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Belly button appearance after tummy tuck, your choice and let the surgeon know.

+1

Hello, again and thank you for your question and the photos. No, you do not have to have a small belly button after tummy tuck. The scar around the belly button can be in the shape of a circle or a diamond but doesn't have to be small. A small belly button doesn't look natural and can be very difficult to keep clean.

Ask your plastic surgeon to show you pictures of his/her tummy tuck for verification.

Cosmetically, it has actually been researched and shown that belly buttons that are slightly taller in height and narrow in width are considered aesthetically pleasing by most Americans, so that is why I make belly buttons slightly tall in height and more narrow in width. But if a patient has a reasonable specific request, then I will try to accomodate when possible.

Ask specifically for what you want and set a reasonable expection for those results. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Belly Button Scar

+1

You are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck.  The concern about the belly button outcome is understandable because this cannot be hidden in a bikini.  They are so many different techniques surgeons use to create certian size and shapes for the belly button.  Discuss what you like and what you do not like with your surgeon.  Also discuss and early post-operative protocol to minimaize the scarring.  Good luck, I am sure you will look great.

Kari L. Colen, MD

Belly Button Appearance often the Sign of a Skilled Tummy Tuck Surgeon

+1

Hi there-

The appearance of the belly button after a tummy tuck is often what separates skilled, experienced and talented surgeons from those lacking these attributes...

I agree with Dr. Johnson- look at lots of photos of patients operated on by the surgeon you choose, and communicate to them the importance of your belly button outcome.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Finessing the belly button with tummy tuck

+1

From the pictures you posted there is no question that you will get the best result from a full tummy tuck. You are correct to point out also that the appearance of the belly button is important, and I would consider it a signature of a well-done abdominoplasty. There are specific things that can be done to achieve this so be clear with your plastic surgeon about your expectations.

Richard Baxter, MD

Belly button worries with tummy tuck

+1

There are many ways to approach the belly button with tummy tuck, and the effect can be critical, as you can hide the lower scar, but the belly button. We suggest you look at the website of tummy tucks done by your surgeon to gauge how it will be approached and how things worked out, and you should like what you see.

Peter Johnson, MD

Belly Button Shape

+1

Different surgeons do the umbilicoplasty portion of the procedure differently.  It is best to look at postoperative pictures from different surgeons to get an idea of how each does the belly button.

Donald Griffin, MD