What if the Front View of the Nose Changes Drastically when Facial Muscles Are Relaxed?

When I relax my facial muscles around my nose, the nostrils go up along with the whole tip resulting in a puffy ball-like appearance. My question is, even if I have a nose job with tip reduction, wouldn't this still happen? How would a surgeon address this issue?

Appearance of nose when facial muscles are relaxed

+1

When performing a rhinoplasty the facial muscles are not addressed or de-animated.  Any animation will still continue after the rhinoplasty.  The rhinoplasty will make the entire bridge line and tip more narrow so even upon animation the nose is not quite as wide.

Rhinoplasty Options

+1

Hello, from your description it sounds like you have a tension nose. If this is the case, rhinoplasty would improve the appearance by reducing the nasal projection and decreasing nasal rotation. Without being examined it is difficult to lay out an exact treatment plan. For more personalized advice schedule an exam with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/photogallery/nose-jobrhinoplasty-7196

Nose Chages With Facial Muscles Movement

+1

Dear Monira,

Thank you for your inquiry.

As the facial muscles move, the nasal features will change accordingly. However, your nose can be addressed in an appropriate manner to minimize or eliminate what you are experiencing.

As a triple board certified surgeon, I have had numerous patients with similar issues who enjoyed commendable results after their surgeries. I am certain that it is best if you seek consultation with a board certified surgeon of ample experience who can physically assess you and help you make a well informed decision.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Rhinoplasty surgery

+1
It is really difficult to determine what you are asking on a technical basis. The best thing to do is consult with an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon. A direct examination seeing your muscle function and anatomical changes made upon these movements would help answer these questions. I use a digital imaging computer during my consultations which allows the patient to see the proposed results. I have hundreds of photos of before and after pictures as well as the proposed imaging pictures and patients can see how closely the projected result and attained results are. I hope this is helpful best regards!

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Changes in Nasal Appearance with Facial Animation

+1

All structures of the face change with muscle movement. I strongly recommend that you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist to determine the cause of the problem and what, if anything, can be done to improve the appearance of your nose.

Will a Rhinoplasty Change the Appearance of Your Nose Associated With Facial Movement?

+1

It's a difficult question to answer without an exam to evaluate the dynamic changes that are taking place when you move your facial muscles. As a general rule however, while there are some attachments that move your nose when you move your facial muscles that can be divided using specific techniques during your rhinoplasty, there are others that cannot be changed with surgery. My experience with people who complain of similar issues has been that overall they are usually very pleased with the results of their rhinoplasty but are a bit disappointed with the fact that there are still some changes in their nose associated with movement following the surgery. A careful evaluation and discussion about what can and cannot be accomplished with a good, experienced rhinoplasty surgeon is a must. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Relaxed

+1

The best way to evaluate and learn nasal anatomy is to consult with a Cosmetic Surgeon.  He will explain the reason for your question in detail with pictures and what can be performed surgically for you.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon