Can I Have A Frenectomy After I Already Started the Invisalign Treatment?

I have a large 5 mm diastema. Can i make the frenectomy within 3 months after starting the invisalign treatment? Can the injure be cured without affecting or beeing affected by the wear of aligners? thank you!

Frenectomy can be done during Invisalign

+2

Yes, your frenectomy can be done during the Invisalign process, and having it done soon will benefit you by allowing the space to close better.  We do many frenectomy procedures using a diode laser.  There is no bleeding, no stitches, and it is a quick healing and recovery process.  

The Invisalign aligners can be modified if they have to, so that they do not touch the healing frenectomy site.  There is a good chance, however, that the aligners will barely touch that area since they do not extend much over the gum tissue.  

Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Frenectomy can be done at any time

+2

The sooner the better, as tooth movement may be easier without the pull of the muscle involved in the frenum attachment.  It is normally done before treatment starts, but 3 months in should not pose a problem.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Frenectomy during invisalign

+2

Normally it is best to have the frenectomy before treatment is started but if it is deemed necessary you can have it done during or even after treatment is completed

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Frenectomy

+1

The worst thing that you can do is have it too soon. Better to have a little late than too soon. If you have it too soon and the space doesn't close fast enough with Invisalign then you will have scar tissue build up and possible have to have it redone.

I would have you wear your trays as far as you can, while closing the space pay particular attention to how "flush" the teeth are. The moment the teeth begin to not "track" get it done. I would want the space closed as much as possible prior to having the frenctomy. You avoid the possibility of even more stubborn and thick scar tissue as well as maybe the whole thing together. When space is forced close the frenum can atrophy.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist