What is the Best Thing to Use for Scar Treatment After a Mommy Makeover?

I just had a MM. The drain was taken out today and I was told to lightly message the scar areas with 1% hydrocortisone and vitamin E. I am just nervous because I scar terrably and want to use the most effected medication I can. Any other suggestions?

Scar management should be left to the surgeon who did your operation

+2

Hi there-

Because the final strength and appearance of your scars will depend on the technique for closure, as well as your individual biology, in addition to the management offered by your surgeon's office, it is important that you allow them to be "in charge" of your scar management.

Only your surgeon understands what was done at your operation, and only your surgeon will be seeing your scars over time- they are therefore the only ones qualified to give you scar recommendations...

talk to your surgeon...

What is the Best Thing to Use for Scar Treatment Aftr Mom Makeover?Answer:

+2

So far, silicone based products seem to hold up the best. These can be either a gel pump or a sheet you place on the scar. The Mederma and Vit E regimen have not been proven as of yet...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The best scar management option

+2

If you have a significant scarring history, the best scar management to start is Silicone Gel Sheeting. Oleeva is a company that can provide it online. You want to leave the silicone gel sheet in place at least 8 hours a day - I recommend my patients remove it only when they shower. For my patients I generally recommend a combination of Vitamin E, Cocoa butter and Shea Butter to massage in twice a day. I follow my patients every couple of months to reassess scarring. Hope this helps!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Scar massage is effective for scar improvement

+2

I'm a big fan of scar massage - I keep surgical incisions of most types 'taped' for several weeks, then ask patients to firmly massage all scars for a few minutes per day. I don't recommend any of the scar gels or creams - they don't seem to be effective and cost $$. Avoidance of sun exposure to surgical scars is also important.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

BioCorneum for treatment of scars

+2

Try the new scar treatment which contains both Silicone as well as sunblock.

It provides a hydrated environment for healing. The Silicone flattens, softens and smooths the scar as well as reduces discoloration, relieves associated itch pain and discomfort. 

Good luck!!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Scar prevention after MM

+1

Early intervention with silicone gel or sheeting has been proven to help alleviate bad scarring. Discuss specifically with your plastic surgeon at your next visit.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Looking for magical scar healing?

+1

How a particular patient scars heal is unpredictable and is related to many factors including genetics. Scars generally improve with time. Leaving on steristrips for 3 or more weeks and massaging the tissue after that on an ongoing basis help in most patients. Avoiding exposing the scars to sun will diminish the risk of darker pigmentation.

There are a multitude of products that claim to help scars, but there is little valid scientific evidence that they accomplish what is claimed. An extensive review of the medical literature showed that:
Silicone gel and silicone sheeting are currently the most beneficial.
Silicone sheeting is more effective than silicone gel.
Vitamin E and Mederma are not effective.

Discuss your concerns and the options with your surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Best scar treatment after mommy makeover

+1

The best scar management is massaging and the use of silicone gel sheeting after your sutures are removed. Periodically, scars will need to be evaluated and may need kenalog injections.

Donna Rich, MD

Scar Treatment

+1

In my patients I do not do anything for three weeks but leave on the steristrips as I use dissolving sutures for most everything.  At three weeks I start having the patient massage the scars with a moisturizing lotion that they already have at home since they will not be allergic to it.  There is no data showing any product ( vit. E, Mederma, etc) better than another, the actual physical massage is probably the important thing.  If the scar starts to get firm and raised using silicone gel sheeting over it has also been proven to be effective.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

No magic for scars - yet

+1

Several studies have shown that vitamin E does not help scars. The problem with all of these treatments is that for most people, scars improve with time anyway so it is difficult to show that the treatment did any better unless you only treat half of the scar and compare the two sides. Almost no studies do this, or if they do they don't get published because of the lack of effect. Silicone patches might be helpful, but my preference is to tape scars for 6 weeks. The tape stabilizes the tissue and reduces the forces that contribute to scarring. IPL laser is also helpful after a few weeks if the scar is too thick and red. There are some very intresting products in testing that improve scarring by activating or shutting off certain genes as the scar is forming, but they are not available yet. For now, one thing you don't want to do is substitute online advice for your own doctor's.

Richard Baxter, MD