What is the Best Thing to Use for Scar Treatment After a Mommy Makeover?

I just had a MM. The drain was taken out today and I was told to lightly message the scar areas with 1% hydrocortisone and vitamin E. I am just nervous because I scar terrably and want to use the most effected medication I can. Any other suggestions?

Scar management should be left to the surgeon who did your operation

+2

Hi there-

Because the final strength and appearance of your scars will depend on the technique for closure, as well as your individual biology, in addition to the management offered by your surgeon's office, it is important that you allow them to be "in charge" of your scar management.

Only your surgeon understands what was done at your operation, and only your surgeon will be seeing your scars over time- they are therefore the only ones qualified to give you scar recommendations...

talk to your surgeon...

What is the Best Thing to Use for Scar Treatment Aftr Mom Makeover?Answer:

+2

So far, silicone based products seem to hold up the best. These can be either a gel pump or a sheet you place on the scar. The Mederma and Vit E regimen have not been proven as of yet...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The best scar management option

+2

If you have a significant scarring history, the best scar management to start is Silicone Gel Sheeting. Oleeva is a company that can provide it online. You want to leave the silicone gel sheet in place at least 8 hours a day - I recommend my patients remove it only when they shower. For my patients I generally recommend a combination of Vitamin E, Cocoa butter and Shea Butter to massage in twice a day. I follow my patients every couple of months to reassess scarring. Hope this helps!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Scar massage is effective for scar improvement

+2

I'm a big fan of scar massage - I keep surgical incisions of most types 'taped' for several weeks, then ask patients to firmly massage all scars for a few minutes per day. I don't recommend any of the scar gels or creams - they don't seem to be effective and cost $$. Avoidance of sun exposure to surgical scars is also important.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

BioCorneum for treatment of scars

+2

Try the new scar treatment which contains both Silicone as well as sunblock.

It provides a hydrated environment for healing. The Silicone flattens, softens and smooths the scar as well as reduces discoloration, relieves associated itch pain and discomfort. 

Good luck!!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Scar prevention after MM

+1

Early intervention with silicone gel or sheeting has been proven to help alleviate bad scarring. Discuss specifically with your plastic surgeon at your next visit.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Looking for magical scar healing?

+1

How a particular patient scars heal is unpredictable and is related to many factors including genetics. Scars generally improve with time. Leaving on steristrips for 3 or more weeks and massaging the tissue after that on an ongoing basis help in most patients. Avoiding exposing the scars to sun will diminish the risk of darker pigmentation.

There are a multitude of products that claim to help scars, but there is little valid scientific evidence that they accomplish what is claimed. An extensive review of the medical literature showed that:
Silicone gel and silicone sheeting are currently the most beneficial.
Silicone sheeting is more effective than silicone gel.
Vitamin E and Mederma are not effective.

Discuss your concerns and the options with your surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Best scar treatment after mommy makeover

+1

The best scar management is massaging and the use of silicone gel sheeting after your sutures are removed. Periodically, scars will need to be evaluated and may need kenalog injections.

Donna Rich, MD

Scar Treatment

+1

In my patients I do not do anything for three weeks but leave on the steristrips as I use dissolving sutures for most everything.  At three weeks I start having the patient massage the scars with a moisturizing lotion that they already have at home since they will not be allergic to it.  There is no data showing any product ( vit. E, Mederma, etc) better than another, the actual physical massage is probably the important thing.  If the scar starts to get firm and raised using silicone gel sheeting over it has also been proven to be effective.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon