The "Flawlessly Aging" Celebrity, What Kind of Treatments are they Most Likely Using?

Lately there is a new kind of "super celebrity" emerging, I will call it the flawlessly aging celebrity. These women are approaching 40 or beyond and claim that diet, exercise, and trying botox "once or twice" are their only secrets. Jen Aniston has recently started copping to lasers at least. Docs, in your honest opinions, what secrets do these women have? Are we missing anything? I'm 37 and curious about what is myth vs. reality.

Secrets of "Flawlessly Aging" celebrities

+2

The notion of "flawlessly aging" is highly appealing. Thanks to photoshop many celebrities look flawless in print.  However, many of them appear in person to be flawless.  What are their secrets?  I can tell you that for many of them, access to a good dermatologist and/or plastic surgeon is very helpful.  Aging beautifully and naturally is made easier today with our current treatment options. 

Many of us have a multifaceted approach to rejuvenation.  1) Evening out pigmentation -  use of one or a combination of the following: topical lightening agents, topical retinoids, superficial chemical peels, lasers for brown spots, facial redness and/or blood vessels.  2) Treatment of crows feet, lines between the brows and along the forehead - use of neurotoxins (Botox and Dysport).  3)  Treatment of skin laxity, textural changes, deeper wrinkles, and acne scarring - ablative and non-ablative resurfacing lasers.  4) Facial revolumization and treatment of the parentheses and marionette lines - use of fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse).

As you can see we have many different treatment options at our disposal.  When these modalities are employed properly, one can get very close to "flawlessly aging".

Hollywood Dermatologic Surgeon

Photoshop is the #1 celebrity beauty secret

+2

Photoshop is the #1 celebrity beauty secret.

Apart from Photoshop, BOTOX® and fillers like Juvéderm are the baseline treatment, with intense pulsed light and vascular laser to correct sun damage, and ablative fractional or ablative non-fractional laser resurfacing.

Sun protection and avoidance of smoking are also important components of the process.

Tretinoin [Retin-A, etc] at 0.01% seems to work just as well as higher doses, and is less irritating.

No big secrets, accessible to all!

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon