Do I Really Need the Feur-de-lis TT or Will I Have Almost the Same Results with a Regular Vertical Hip-to-hip Incision? (photo)

I have an extended abdominoplasty & medial thigh lift scheduled for Sep. I’m 28, 185lbs & 5’9. Loss of 140lbs(325-heavest). I've lost 100 or more twice before; this time I had lap-band, have completely changed my life style and maintained for 2 years. I don’t mind a vertical scar… as long as it is worth the trade off. Input, advice &/or suggestions is welcome. (I don’t have lipo on the list, but thinking about it)

Tummy tuck vs. Body Lift

+1

You certainly need an extended abdominoplasty, not a vertical incision.  However, you also have some folds of skin on your back.  You may benefit from a circumferncial lift (whole body lift).  Of course, this can be done in 2 sessions.  Do the abdominoplasty first.  If you are dissatisfied with the back then you can do a posterior continuation to produce the whole body lift.  I would not do a vertical incision.

Best Wishes,

Gary M. Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

A full tummy tuck is likely your best option. A fleur-de-llis is not mandatory.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Fleur de lis tummy tuck or not?

+1

Based on the photos I would not perform the vertical incision in your case. You appear to be a good candidate for the standard incision. IF there is significant redundancy after the standard tuck, you could have the vertical excision, however, I think you should get a very nice result with the vertical scar so you can flaunt your new tummy in a bikini! Congratulations on your sustained weight loss.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Nix The Fleur-De-Lis Tummy Tuck Approach

+1

Based on your pictures, I don't see a significant benefit to the fleur-de-lis approach to your tummy tuck. You would get a good result with a standard horizontal excisional approach. I would, however, consider liposuction in the flanks so the side of your waistline will match better to your new flat abdomen. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Avoid the Vertical Scar if Possible

+1

I agree with many of the other answers listed below.   Certainly, a midline scar can be helpful in some patients, but it looks like from your photographs that you would probably get a nice result with a standard abdominoplasty with liposuction to help contour the hips and flanks.  Photographs are no substitute for a physical exam so it is hard to know how far to the side your scar will need to extend to give you the best result.  As you may know, some massive weight loss patients will need a circumferential surgery (body lift or belt lipectomy) to get optimal improvement.  If you can avoid the vertical scar I would because wound healing complications tend to increase with "T" shaped scar closures.  Good luck!

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Skip The Vertical Scar, But Do The Lipo.

+1

Although I frequently suggest the Fleur de Lis TT with the midline scar, from your photos you may not need it.  However, I would strongly recommend lipo of the abdomen and flanks at the time of your TT.  It can make an good result outstanding.  Best of luck.  lhc

Lee H. Colony, MD
Lansing Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Very hard to be sure over the internet. So best to obtain a few second opinions in person. But my guess is a horizontal TT would or could be sufficient. Best of luck and follow up would be nice. 

Our vote, avoid the vertical scar

+1

We have a fairly good experience with body contouring after weight loss, and we like the vertical or fleur-de-lise approach for some, but based on your photo we would favor the tummy tuck transverse pattern.

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Thank you for the questions and good photos.  From what I can tell, an abdominoplasty without vertical skin removal and muscle repair would give you a great result.  Liposuction would be icing on the cake, but not critical. Without the vertical scar, you could potentially be back in a 2-piece swimsuit.  I have all my patients bring in their swimsuit the day of surgery so I can precisely place the scars in hidden places.  You may want to ask your surgeon if he does the same.  Hope it goes well!

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Need a Vertical Scar Tummy Tuck?

+1

Based on your pictures, I don't think you need a vertical scar also, but I would not fault a plastic surgeon for recommending it since it may give a little nicer contour to your trunk. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon