The Feel for Saline and Silicone Implants Too Different to Have Them Both? (photo)

I am getting implant revision surgery in two days. I have saline implants. My breast were not symmetric one is much bigger than the other and the smaller one is encapsulated. My doctor suggested to correct the smaller one with silicone implants b/c he doesnt do saline and says saline shouldnt be done above 400cc and leave the other one alone since we both like how it looks. He says there aint much difference in the feel and appearance but I want to hear more opinions.

If He Really Didn't Give You a Choice, Find a New Surgeon

+1
It is hard to believe that someone told you that they don't use saline implants.  I use silicone most of the time, but patients deserve to have a choice between the alternatives.

You have breasts that did not match initially.  Your soft breast probably feels and looks great because there is relatively more breast tissue and a relatively smaller implant.

But your problematic side was the smaller breast and therefore the type of the implant would be important to creating the best feel.  It's hard to believe that your surgeon truly won't do saline.  My bet is that he just thinks that silicone will give a much better result on that side.

I can't remember a time in which I had a patient with a saline implant in one side and a silicone in the other.  We always want to do everything we can to make them symmetric.  But if putting in silicone will make that breast the best it can be, and you already love the other breast, then why spend the money and take the risk of putting an implant in a good breast?

So while the idea of two different implants sounds ludicrous at first, if you really want the problem side to be as good as possible, and you don't want to mess with the good one, it may not be such a bad idea.  But i am bothered if you were truly not given a choice.

Despite all I have said, without measuring you, feeling your tissue, and meeting you in person, there are such subtleties to this that no one can give specific advice to you.

The Feel for Saline and Silicone Implants Too Different to Have Them Both?

+1

thanks for the question in the attached photographs.

For a woman with a fairly large amount of breast tissue and a fairly small implant the difference in field between silicone and saline maybe rather modest.

With the amount of breast tissue it looks like you have him the fact that you're considering implant larger than 400 cc I think the feel of a one saline and once silicone implant would be different not that it would be a very unsatisfactory outcome. I would recommend switching out the saline implant on the larger side to a silicone gel implant if you wish to have a silicone implant replacing the implant on the smaller side. 

Your other option would be to find a surgeon who would be willing to use a saline implant. However I do think the gel implants will have a much more natural feel and therefore an overall more pleasing outcome 4 you. all

Thanks as best wishes

+1

Thanks for the interesting question and photos posted. What is of concern to me are the following issues. I have NEVER heard a boarded PS that does not do both saline and or silicone implants - very unusual. Next why not exchange both to different sizes because the new warranties/guarantees are so much better in your favor. Finally in my opinion the silicones are much more of a natural feel. So there are my issues back to you, maybe you need additional in person opinions from boarded PSs in your city? 

Breast augmentation, natural feel

+1

There is a bid difference in the feel of a breast augmentation with saline and silicone gel.  The gel are much more natural and life-like.  I would consider switching over from the saline to the gel.  And you will not have to worry about leakage in the future.  

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon