Is the "Fat Take" Usually Better on a Brazillian Butt Lift the Second Time Around?

Is the "Fat Take"usually Better on a Brazillian Butt Lift the Second Time Around?

Brazilian butt lift and repeat surgery

+2

Theoretically a repeat surgery should have a worse take then original surgery. Fat survival is based on blood supply and in the 2nd surgery there's probably some small degree of scar tissue with decreased blood supply that wasn't there in the 1st surgery so theoretically that take should be less.

The times I've done repeat fat injection to the buttocks 2nd surgery has worked well. And I cannot tell a difference in the amount of fat take the 2nd surgery as opposed to the 1st. But if scarr tissue is present after the 1st surgery it will still be there after the 2nd.

Is the fat take after a second fat grafting more reliable than the first one?

+2

The use of fat grafting for buttock augmentation is the best technique for enalrging the buttocks. In about 35% of my series of patients end up needing or wanting a second procedure because of some absorption. In these cases the fat almost always stays and it is very uncommon to need any more fat grafting procedures. Patient satisfaction rate is very high after the second procedure. But you should try to have the surgery by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes int he BBL in order to get the best result.

George Lefkovits, MD

+2

With the potential exception of love and marriage there are very few things in life which are really better the second time around. Each operation heals by creating scar tissue and scar tissue creates physical barriers to creating a reliable blood flow. As a result, placing fat AGAIN in a buttock which has more scar tissue is not as easy AND the fat does not have access to as much blood supply. As a result, the viability of the fat cannot be better. It can at best, be the same and commonly not be as well.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Fat Survival Rate for BBL Revision

+1
Revision surgery should have the same "fat take" rate. Typically about 70% of the fat cells transferred will survive.

German Newall, MD