Where Does the Fat Go if It Doesn't Survive the Graft to Breasts? Does the Number of Cc's Really Matter for Size Increase?

I want to go from 32B to a C or small D. Why does some doctors only inject 150-200cc'sof fat in each side while others inject 300-600plus(each)? Why are some drs so set on the low amount? Wouldn’t injecting more give a better chance at bigger breasts? Will the fat that doesn't survive flush out through urine and stool? Why not inject more fat if I want to and my breasts can fit it? I can't afford to repeat this over and I'm not sure I would even have enough fat or the nerve to go a second round.

Natural Breast Augmentations

+1

The results are difficult to predict because "fat take" (the amount of fat which survives after being transferred) can vary anywhere from 20 to 80%.  The success depends on several factors.  It is like trying to predict how many seeds will sprout when you plant them in the ground.

Fat must be obtained from a donor site and therefore satisfactory quantity and quality of fat must be available.  The procedure requires an anesthetic and may be performed in the office or surgicenter. On average, 50% of the injected fat will be absorbed but the fat which remains is permanent. Several operative sessions may be required to achieve the desired result.

200 cc per breast at a time

+1

In general, 200 cc per breast is typically the upper limit of injection recommended by most.  It is not that more cannot be injected, but on average this has been determined to be the most that can be expected to live during one transfer.  The fat must be injected through multiple planes in small amount passes.  Most surgeons will perform more than one procedure for greater augmentations.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat transfer for breast augmentation

+1

The fat that doesn't survive a fat transplant simply gets reabsorbed and metabolized.

A small breast will only accept a certain amount of fat since each strand or droplet needs to touch a normal piece of breast to grow a blood supply. The fat is woven in strands or droplets into the breast and is a true transplantation of tissue the same way that a skin graft is.  Not all of the fat survives the transplant so some will be reabsorbed.  A bigger breast can accept a bigger volume than a smaller breast can.  I hope that helps you understand a little better the limitations of the procedure.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer to breast expectations

+1

The advantages of fat transfer is that you get a completely natural feeling enhancement that looks like a normal breast.  The down side is that the amount of augmentation is variable.  How much fat a breast can take is uncertain but at a point fat is being injected and the pressure is increasing and survival is decreasing.  A large skin envelope can take more fat and this can be modified in tighter skin with Brava expansion.  We typically find that about 300cc in most breasts is all that really fits.

We have also done studies that shows processing techniques affect the volume achieved.  We found that centrifuge processing had about a 30% take while processing the fat with Puregraft had about 50% take.  

Mark Glasgold, MD
Highland Park Facial Plastic Surgeon

Limitations on fat grafting to breasts

+1

Although fat grafting techniques have improved, there are certain limitations. One of the reasons it was not done for many years is because fat cells that don't survive can leave lumps, cycts, and specks called calcifications on mammograms.  In order for the fat cells to survive each clump of cells has to be surrounded by healthy tissue to deliver oxygen. It seems that about 150-200 cc's is the most that can be reliably done for most breasts.

Richard Baxter, MD