Is the EyeRise™ Procedure a Viable Alternative to Surgery for Lower Eyelid Bags?

Is anyone familiar with the non-invasive EyeRise™ procedure that's been on the news of late? It's always been my understanding that fillers (Juviderm, Restalyne, etc) for under eye bags produced very questionable results. Have techniques improved? Saw some horrific complications on the Katie Show where a woman developed an infection. What are pros/cons and would you recommend this for your own family/patients or is it not ready for prime time?

EyeRise is a marketing tool

+2

The quick answer to your question is that EyeRise is a marketing tool the same way that Lifestyle Lift is a marketing ploy.

Dermal fillers such as Resylane, Juvederm and Boletero are excellent options for around the eyes, and our technique HAS improved over the years.

Surgery [Blepharoplasty and/or Fat grafting] is also a great option that is a more permanent fix.

Seek a consultation with a surgeon that is experienced in ALL this techniques so that they can recommend whats best for you.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Another hyped trademarked name for a service that is commonly performed.

+2

Using a trademarked name is no assurance that a service is any better than than what is being performed.  My opinion is that the cannulas being used to inject filler around the eye are not better than using the fine needle that comes with the filler product.  The promise to the doctor from the companies making these cannulas is that they are safer than the needle.  This unfortunately is not the case.  The cannulas still inadvertently inject into a vein and cause tissue necrosis.  These effects are rare.  Generally is it knowledge of the anatomy and not the devise being used that makes the biggest difference for safety.  The cannulas require a poke in the skin to allow them to pass because they lack a sharp tip.  This means that the doctor compromises the treatment by using far fewer pokes to get the treatment done.  This is not a positive result.  The cannulas cause just as much bruising as the needles.  Finally, the cannula is more uncomfortable then a sharp needle.  All in all, using the cannula is a gimmick that does not add to your safety or an improved outcome.  Going to someone who is a franchisee of a trademarked service does not guarantee that you will have a better result.  Caution is advised.

Options for lower eyelid bags

+2

As best I can tell, the eye rise procedure is just a clever name for placing injectible fillers in the tear trough using a small cannula (hollow tube) rather than a needle.  This technique has been used for a number of years in France and other European countries and is becoming increasingly popular in the United States.  It's a nice way to inject filler to this area, but other than the possibility of reduced bruising, it suffers the same limitations of sharp needle techniques.  In my opinion, the ideal candidate for injectible fillers to the lower eyelid is relatively young, with modest protrusion of the fat, and good tone to the structures that support the lower lid.  The injector should be highly experienced and understand that the key to success with this procedure is to follow the guideline,  "less is more" in terms of the amount injected.

John Q. Cook, MD