Will the Excess Skin on my Lower Eyelids Ever Tighten Again?

Its been 4 months of hell and agony since 4 syringes of juvederm were put into my lower eyelids back in June.I was told it would only be a little bit of the product placed under my eyes. Excess swelling and extreme pain was relieved with vitrase injections. Now my skin is hanging and wrinkled from all the swelling. The doctor is suggesting lower eyelid surgery, but I am terrified since this botched juvederm treatment. All I want is my original face back. Someone please help!

Tightening Lower Eyelids

+1

I would recommend a consult and evaluation to review the best  treatment plan for your situation. Lower lid blepharoplasty is recommended for someone who has loose, sagging skin. This area is very thin skin due to collagen depletion, fat loss, and  gravity.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in injectables for an evaluation and  for the safest and most effective treatments.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Juvederm for the lower eyelids

+1
  • Dear justaerobics,
  • I would wait it out a few months to see if the sagging gets better
  • With that said, if the bags are still around, you should see a trusted surgeon
  • You may need direct excision of that skin which would be a different approach to the eyelids
  • An in person consultation would give you the answers you are looking for

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Stretched skin from too much filler

+1

The skin can certainly stretch out from too much filler, and this is where hyaluronidase is a great option for dissolving excess filler before the skin stays stretched too long and develops a memory. That said, like most things in life, it should improve over time. It may be worth seeking a second opinion, and definitely hold off on the surgery for at least another 6 months.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

"Sagging under eyes "

+1

The stretched skin under your eyes may continue to improve with time, but it sounds like there were some issues prior to having the Juvederm injected. Hence the for the filler in the first place...  You might be ahead to have a lower lid bleph with possible fat grafting to that area.  But it is important to work with a doctor you trust! 

Sam Naficy, MD