What Are the Effects of Restylane on Elasticity?

How does it effect wrinkles? How long can I expect results from Restylane to last?

Restylane and elasticity

+1

Restylane is a dermal filler and how long it lasts depends on where it is injected. The greater the amount of motion, the faster it dissolves. It will have no effect, positive or negative, on skin elasticity.

Restylane provides volume

+1

Restylane is used to provide volume to areas of the face.  Results will typically last between 6-12 months.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane smooths out wrinkles and lasts at least nine months.

+1

Hi.

A wrinkle is a little valley, and Restylane fills in the valley.  I don't think it affects elasticity.  When placed in an area that does not move much, like the tear trough of the lower lids, it lasts for years.  In an area that moves a lot, like around the mouth, it lasts quite a bit less.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Restylane for wrinkles and effects on skin elasticity

+1

Restylane is a type of hyaluronic acid filler which acts to decrease wrinkles and facial depressions buy replacing lost tissue volume beneath the wrinkle or depression.  The results of a Restylane injection can last, on average, between 6 to 12 months.  Restylane does not have a direct effect on skin elastic properties

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Restylane will provide volume to the face and fill in wrinkles

+1

Restylane will provide volume to the face and fill in wrinkles very successfully. Its effect on elasticity is not studied. Restylane and Juvederm can last 6 months or longer. However, we have noticed a secondary volume maintenance effect after injection with these hyaluronic acid fillers, perhaps by way of collagen stimulation in varying degrees. If the injections are performed periodically, the fillers may have long lasting effect on wrinkle correction.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Those are three good questions.

+1

What are Restylane's effects on elasticity?  

Restylane does not effect skin elasticity.  But then again, neither do so-called "stimulatory" fillers.  Skin elasticity is one of those vanishing resources of the face.  Depending on the exact nature of your issues, Restylane can be fabulously successful in making up for a loss of elasticity.  However is some individuals, particularly in the mid face, loss of elasticity can complicate getting an optimal treatment result.  Here Restylane has a clear advantage over so-called stimulator fillers because unlike any of those products, Restylane treatments can be easily adjusted with an injectable enzyme called hyaluronidase.

How does it effect wrinkles?  

Volume baby, volume.  In most situations, the wrinkle is forming because of a loss of volume and a loss of elasticity.  With volume in the form of Restylane, one can make up for the missing volume creating a more youthful effect with improved wrinkle appearance.

How long can I expect results from Restylane to last?  

Patients are often told that the filler effects will last 6 to 12 months.  The reality is that for many, the filler service can last much, much longer than this.  I have patients who have had benefit from a treatment for a two year period.  Of course much of this is subjective.  I also have a few patients who come at 6 to 8 week interval and want more treatment.  Due to their unique circumstances, I will provide that treatment.  However for most of us a time frame of 9 to 12 months is a reasonable expectation.

Happy New Year to all.

Does Restylane affect skin Elasticity?

+1

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers such as the family of products of Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm are meant to fill facial lines and help with volume depletion.  They do not have an effect on skin elasticity.  The effects of hyaluronic acid fillers can last anywhere from 6-12 months depending upon the patient and the area into which they are injected  

Guessing based upon the way you posed your question perhaps you are having issues with loose sagging skin.  If that is your concern you might be better off with a skin tightening procedure with one of the ablative or non-ablative lasers.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Fillers and elasticity

+1

The fillers themselves do not have any true effect on skin elasticity.  Howver, it may induce collagen production.  The fillers increase volume.

Restylane for wrinkles

+1

When comparing different fillers for wrinkle treatments, it is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers”. Hyaluronic acid gels like Juvederm or Restylane are used as wrinkle fillers because they are injected more superficially, being injected in the skin rather than beneath it. They are fairly interchangeable with some small but important differences. They have a totally natural feel and, depending upon the location, should last about one year. When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are so effective for problems due to volume loss, and give longer-lasting results too. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane fills Skin Wrinkles

+1

Restylane (Perlane etc) are tissue fillers. They augment tissues and smooth out wrinkles and folds caused by loss of skin support due to deflation. The effect can last up to a year.