what is the most effective peel chemical and percentage for hyperpigmentated/sundamaged for dark african american skin!

I have sun damaged skin and I am African-American. I am perplexed by how many peels that are available to purchase. Please answer the following questions: What acid is the most effective acid for dark African American skin: What acid wil not causes hyperpigmentation or light blotches on the skin; What is the most effective acid and acid percentage for treating hyperpigmentation. Additionally, I want to know the precautions of using skin peels without supervision of a licensed dermatologist.

Effective Chemical Peels is Based on Skin

+1

Thank you for your question. With African skin, you have a very large list of risk factors.  Generally, the darker the skin, the greater the risks.  You will need to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has expertise in peels and skin of color.  After a skin consult and understanding of your skin type, condition, and sensitivity, options can be discussed. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Peels for dark skin hyper pigmentation

+1

There is no "perfect peel" for dark skin hyper pigmentation, but generally speaking glycolic acid is a very nice option. I would start with you at 30 or 50%, and eventually move to 70% glycolic acid - this substance is generally quite safe and effective in dark skin.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon