What is the Most Effective Dosage of Spironolactone to Fight Acne?

I know it will vary from person to person, but I'm curious if there is a certain dosage that is considered the most effective for combating hormonal acne? I'm a petite mid-thirties female. I started on 100mg but felt poorly the first month I was on the prescription. I reduced my intake to 50mg, but wonder if I will not see the results with this lower dose?

50mg of Spironolactone works well for hormonal acne with little side effects

+5

Spironolactone is an excellent medication for treating hormonal acne in females. Unfortunately, at higher doses it can have side effects (including dizziness and lightheadedness). I start nearly all of my patients on 50mg daily.  Spironolactone takes up to 3 months to have its full effect, at which point I will sometimes decrease the dose or may increase the dose of Spironolactone if necessary.  If you are currently taking 50mg daily, that is a great dose for most women with hormonal acne.

Aldactone for acne

+3

It works, particularly when a woman finds antibiotics both topical and systemic aren't working for that predictable perimenstrual flare.  You don't need large doses and often can take it only around your menstrual period..  I always suggest two weeks on and two weeks off.  I often start women on 25mg twice a day to see if that low dose is enough to block the hormonal hit.  I rarely have to take them to 50 mg twice a day.  Give the initial dosing at least one menstrual cycle to see if it works.  Two cycles are even better.

Hope that helps!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon