What Are the Most Effective Chin Implants?

I'm considering a chin implant and have seen two surgeons. One specialisies in silicone implants one in gore tex. I want a small implant with wings to balance out my round face but as my features are delicate i dont want a huge implant. What is the safest implant to use in this case that is unlikely to move or cause a reaction? I would really appreciate any help or advice?

All Chins are Unique!

+2

Your question is an excellent one.  The key is not so much the choice of implant material, but rather what exactly your needs are for chin enhancement.  As a rule, especially in the female face, choosing a smaller implant usually produces a more natural, non-operated appearance.  There are other issues that can impact the size requirement of the implant, such as the vertical height of the chin (e.g. with a short chin, an implant may look very unnatural and may best be treated by bony genioplasty to actually lengthen the chin), the overall size of your mandible, and the shape of your neck.  Both silicone and ePTFE (Goretex) have excellent track records, so I wouldn't worry about the material so much.  There are other materials, such as porous polyethylene (Medpor) that are also quite good, but in my experience tend to make a masculine appearance to the chin.  Just make sure that your surgeon is experienced, perhaps best demonstrated by the ability to show you before and after examples that might be similar to your situation.  Good luck to you!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's the surgeon not the implant type that is most important

+1

Both implant materials: silicone and gore tex are reasonable choices for chin implant surgery. Most important by far is the skill and expertise of the surgeon and not the material used. That would be the basis I would use to find the best surgeon. See below link for further tips on how to do this.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

What is the optimal chin implant?

+1

I agree with Dr. Kabaker that several materials and many shapes of implants are available. I too prefer silastic implants because of the variety of sizes and shapes readily available as well as the natural feel of the implant. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant choices

+1

I prefer silastic chin implants. However, there are other materials that different surgeons might prefer. The size and shape is most important

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon