What is the Earliest Age That Women Want to or Can Have a Facelift Done?

I'm 45 and have significant drooping in my lower face as well as excess skin in lower face that slopes down into the neck. At 45, will all plastic surgeons be willing to do a facelift on me? I read that sometimes women are told by the P.S. that they are too young for a facelift.

Facelift

+4

There is no correct age for a facelift.  The technique may vary of course depending on what correction is desired.  Fillers are excellent for mild marionnette and nasolabial lines.  But as jowls become more prominent and neck bands appear, a form of facelift is ideal.  A short scar lift can correct these issues with minimal downtime in the younger group of facelift candidates.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Face lift surgery in younger patient

+3

There is no definite agelimit for face lift. Most important factor is the amount of sagging and excess skin that is there in the face and neck. If nonsurgical technique such as fillers, fat grafting etc can improve the sagginess and rejuvenate the face then face lift can be delayed.

Lower part of the face and neck areas do not have many nonsurgical options. So risk and benefits are evaluated and surgery is advised.

There is an option of short scar face lift to minimize the scars if you are an ideal candidate for it.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

+3

The best treatment option really depends upon the exact cause of a patient's facial aging. For patients presenting with volume loss or inadequate bone structure rather than excess skin, a facelift is often inappropriate. However, if the main issue that reveals facial aging is skin laxity with otherwise good facial volume and bony support, then a facelift is often appropriate. Based on your brief description of your concerns, a facelift would likely improve the areas that concern you but you would require a consultation and examination to be sure. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts at a young age

+2

There is no minimum or maximum age for a facelift. These surgeries should be reserved for patients who can benefit from them, regardless of age.  Doing a facelift in a 35 year old who has poor skin elasticity and jowls is a reasonable thing that can be very helpful for such a patient.  A 65 year old who looks great and does not have any drooping should not have a face lift- Age is not the deciding factor, but the degree of improvement that surgery can provide is the most important thing (as long as you are healthy enough for surgery, of course).

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Age for facelift

+2

Determining whether someone is a candidate for a facelift or not is not based on age, but on aging.  I have done facelifts on people in their late 30's and have turned down people in their 60's.  People age differently, based on many factors, so the absolute age is not really a determining factor.  From what you describe, it sounds as if you may be a good candidate for a facelift.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earliest age for a face lift

+2

From your description, you are not too young for a facelift.  When I examine patients I base my recommendations more on the physical exam and the patients state of health than on a given chronological age.  After all, no two people age in the same way.  There are some patients who have a remarkable preservation of their facial structure even in their 60's, just as there are some patients who have experienced significant structural settling in their late 30's.

John Q. Cook, MD

Age for First Facelift

+1

There is not an age at which facelift should or should not be performed.  Patients after massive weight loss may require a face and neck lift to remove loose skin in their 20s or 30s.  If there is a significant amount of sagging to the jowls and neck, a short scar face and neck lift would work well to address those needs.

Age of Facelift

+1

There is no set minimum age limit for which a patient can undergo a facelift. Many factors affect the perceived age of patients. Factors that contribute to aging include sun exposure, environmental factors, heredity, history of smoking and diet. All of the above can contribute, in varying degree, to the perceived age of a particular patient.

William P. Mack, MD, PA
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

When to have a facelift

+1

There is no specific age that dictates when to have a facelift.  A potential patient must present with enough aging issues; jowls, excess facial and neck skin, fatty deposits in the neck, and anterior platysmal bands.  When these issues are present, it is best to undergo an elective comprehensive lower face/neck lift for rejuvenation.  Most patients who undergo a facelift are in the their mid 50’s.

Facelift and best age to do it

+1

Dear needafaceliftnow45,

• Studies have shown that patients who get their facelifts in their 40s and 50s are happier than those who get them later in life
  • The goal is to look better, so depending on what you look like, a facelift may be appropriate, but there may be other procedures that will benefit you more
  • It sounds like you have some of the signs of a face that would benefit from a facelift

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD