Does the Droopy Tip of my Nose Affect my Smile? And if So, Will Getting a Nose Job Fix This? (photo)

Hello, I've had a problem with the appearance of my nose for a while. It's size, longevity and bulbous/droopy tip also have an impact on my smile. As you can see in the pictures, my smile is unnatural looking. The front teeth are rarely visible when I smile, and for them to show even half-way I have to to try really hard which makes it obvious. I would like to have a smile that shows all of my front teeth, which are near-perfect after braces. So is a nose job the right thing to do? Est. costs?

Nose job for nasal droop

+3

You have asked a very interesting question.  The answer can be very technical in description, but also very simple: If you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose, a rhinoplasty could improve its features.  If you are unhappy with your smile, a rhinoplasty is not worth the expense of the procedure, the recovery, the risk, ect.

The amount of dental show with smiling animation is in large part related to the size of the teeth and the size of the maxilla (the bone connecting the bottom of the nose to the top of the teeth).  Maybe you have seen someone smile who has a little too much show:  all of the teeth, all of the gums, and then some.  This person likely has a very large maxillary bone, a term we call vertical maxillary excess.  Oral surgery alters the proportions of the maxillary bone, not rhinoplasty.  Your upper lips and cupid’s bow are very well proportioned and I would not recommend procedures to shorten them.

The tip of the nose drooping with conversation / animation is a common complaint in my practice.  Pay attention the next time you see a close-up of an actor in the profile (side) view, the tip of their nose will bob up and down as they are speaking.  For people that have a lot of movement or are concerned about the movement, there is a good correction for this during rhinoplasty.  Adding structure to the tip of the nose and removing one of the muscles of animation will stabilize the nasal tip considerably. 

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

A rhinoplasty will not effect facial dynamics.

+2

The facial expression demonstrated in the photo shows the nasal tip depressed by the facial muscle action.  This would not be effected by a rhinoplasty.  If you a pleased with your nose when the face is neutral, I would not suggest a rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Actually it is the other way around the smile is making the tip droop. This is usually treated by dividing the muscle that connects the upper lip to the nasal tip. Dividing that muscle will not increase the amount of tooth showing when you smile and may even decrease it a bit. If you plan on doing the rhinoplasty so it changes your smile you will be unhappy no matter how good the result is because the surgery cannot change the way you move the muscles when you smile.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty can improve a bulbous and droopy tip

+1

Having a successful rhinoplasty can help boost your confidence and satisfaction in your facial appearance.  This may help your smile indirectly because you are happier.

Your nasal tip does have some heaviness in general and a fullness in the supra-tip region.  Because the skin is thick, you may benefit from more definition of the nasal tip. (Not necessarily making it smaller, but more defined)  This can be accomplished with a tip graft.

Have a few consultations with some surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty.  Ask for examples of similar noses.  Your nose has potential for improvement! 

One caveat, having a rhinoplasty is a big decision and there are no guarantees, so do a lot of research and good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Droopy, Bulbous Tip

+1

A rhinoplasty will improve the bulbous tip, reduce the fullness at the nasolabial junction,  and decrease  tip drooping  when smiling by cutting a small muscle at the base of the nose. I would also lower the profile immediately above your tip. It will cost about $8,000.00.

Does the Droopy Tip of my Nose Affect my Smile? And if So, Will Getting a Nose Job Fix This?

+1

No, it's the other way around.  Aesthetically you have thin lips that thin out further when you smile.  When smiling, your nasal tip also droops but has otherwise has no effect on the upper lip directly.  Lip Augmentation of the upper and lower lip using Alloderm lip Implants as well as a Rhinoplasty to thin the nasal tip and add tip support seems a logical course of action IMHO.  Hope this helps.

Nose job to improve smile?

+1

Rhinoplasty will not improve your smile. I agree with the description of your nose, and those things could be fixed, if you were unhappy with your nose. But do not change your nose because you think it will improve your smile.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Rhinoplasty for bump and profile refinement, and reducing bulbous tip.

+1

Rhinoplasty for bump and profile refinement, and reducing bulbous tip can be done and improve your appearance. The cost is $6-8,000 and don't shop price. Go to a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results. 

Droopy Nasal Tip

+1

If you are unhappy with how your nasal tip droops when you smile, that can be fixed by addressing the muscle that is causing this with a rhinoplasty.   In some patients, the teeth are not visible because of a longer upper lip length; however, I am not sure this is the case with you.  Please have a thorough consultation with a board certified specialist who can evaluate and guide you as to how to best achieve the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD