Will the Droopy Eyelids Go Away, and How Long?

When Will The Droopy Eyelids Go Away?

+1
If you truly have eye-LID droop and not eye-BROW droop, it will likely go away in 1-2 months.  Unfortunately, eyelid droop is a rare but known complication after Botox. This happens when some of the Botox inadvertently diffuses to the muscle that normally elevates the eyelid, the levator palpebra superioris.  

You need to see an experienced physician injector who can examine you. If you do have eye-LID droop, you are likely a candidate for Apraclonidine eye-drops that may raise your eyelid approximately 2mm. But note that sometimes, you may not have any improvement at all and will have to wait for the effects of the Botox to wear off for the eyelid droop to improve. Since the complete dose of Botox is unlikely to have infiltrated onto your eyelid, the lid droop will likely improve in the next 1-2 months (and not the 3-4 months that Botox normally lasts). Rarely, if more Botox penetrated into the eyelid muscle, the lid droop may last longer...

But again, the good news is that it IS reversible and NOT permanent.

I would encourage you to seek the services of an experienced physician injector. I think the key lies in truly understanding the anatomy of the injected area, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead, and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection. This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, and the patient variability therein. As an aesthetic-trained plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin and see the actual muscles themselves. For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to. However, with that said, I know many Dermatologists who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get great results.

Good luck.

Chestnut Hill Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Drooping Eyelids

+1
If you have a droop, Botox will gradually wear off in 3-5 months, and it will go completely back to normal. A lot of patients wonder how Botox can lift some things and drop others. Here's why...

If Botox (or Dysport or Xeomin) is injected into muscles that help the eyelid shut, then those muscles relax, and the eye actually opens up. Common areas include the corrugator (the muscle that pulls down the the inner eyebrow) and the orbicularis (the muscle that squeezes the eye shut).

On the other hand, if it's injected into muscles that help lift the brow or eyelid open, the eyebrow or even eyelid can seem to droop. Injecting into the forehead on patients with deep wrinkles can lower the eyebrows and make the eyelids seem heavy. You can see where your brows will be by relaxing your forehead completely and pushing down all the wrinkles. If it's injected too close to the eyelid muscle, then the actual eyelid can droop. This can be partially improved with eye drops and will eventually go 100% back to normal.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Botox and eyelid droop

+1

Botox can help improve naturally droopy upper eyelids by relaxing the lowering function of the frown muscles. Botox used in the lower and upper forehead, depending on the areas injected, can lessen the elevating function of those muscles, thereby, lowering the forehead and with that, the eyebrows and eyelids. It can take 12 to 16 weeks, or more,  for this to go away.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Droopy Eyelids After Botox

+1
Droopy eyelids are a common side effect of Botox. These symptoms can happen hours to weeks after you receive an injection. They will go away after no more than a few weeks. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Droopy Eyelids With Botox

+1

It depends on if you have heavy lids or heavy brows. If the eyelids are heavy you can use Iopidine eye drops and this should make the problem resolve.Your doctor can call the perscription into your pharmacy. If it is heavy brows it may take awhile to go away. Your Botox will last 3 to 4 months so it may last until the Botox effect goes away.

Either way, the problem will resolve. If you do Botox again the injector should know this information and they can alter their treatment plan for you.Be sure to go to an experienced injector . It would be good if you have the Dermatologist , Opthalmologist or Plastic Surgeon doing the treatment for you.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Droopy Eyelids or Droopy Brow with Botox

+1

The critical question is if your eyelids are droopy or not. If they are , you can use Iopidine eye drops and that will lift your eyelids.

If your brow is low then it might take a few weeks to one month for it to get better enough to  make it tolerable. The complete effect will take four months to go away. 

In either case you have to be very careful about getting Botox again. 

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

For better or worse, the effects of BOTOX are not permanent.

+1

The effects of BOTOX last on average 3 months - both the desired effects and side effects.  Droopy eyelids can resolve quicker, and commonly last only a month or less.  You can use eyedrops to counteract the effect if it is bothersome. 

David Magilke, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy Eyelids from Botox

+1

Droopy eyelids do resolve, yes, within about 6 weeks depending on how extreme it was. But you don't have to wait it out. You can return to your injector for an evaluation and possible prescription for specialty eyedrops that counter the ptosis, or droopy eyelids. It just needs to be determined that it's droopy eyelids, and not droopy brows, that have occurred, and many patients are confused about this.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Droopy Eyelids

+1

Rachael,

Are you referring to Botox or Dysport?  If so, this should go away.  In the meantime, go see your healthcare provider that is very experienced in Aesthestics and have them evaluate you.  Many times you can place more Botox in a different region to get that area to lift or you can use some drops to make Botox go away faster. 

Hope this helps.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you have drooping due to Botox, then yes, the drooping will resolve. Somewhere between 6-12 weeks it should go away completely. If you've had treatment of your forehead it is possible that you have an eyebrow droop. If this is the case additional Botox can sometimes be added below the brow to give it a small lift. If you have a true eyelid droop then the best option is apraclonidine eyedrops that will lift the affected eyelid temporarily until your eyelid droop wears off. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon