What is the Best Way to Dress a Leaking Breast Reduction Wound?

Concerns after Breast Reduction?

+1

Always  best to check with your own plastic surgeon about concerns after surgery. For example, the best way to manage a specific wound will depend on the etiology/nature of the wound.  If still in doubt, a second opinion with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area may be helpful to you.
Online consultants will not be able to provide you with meaningful diagnosis, treatment recommendations, or reassurance.
Best wishes;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with the  long-term outcome of the breast reduction procedure.

How to dress a wound

+1

Postoperative wounds leak different types of fluid. Even the smallest bit of blood in fluid can turn fluid pink to red, and no one likes a moist shirt or bra! I give my patients dressings postoperatively for exactly this reason--usually "ABD pads" (so named as they are used in abdominal surgery.) They are highly absorptive, soft, nonirritating white pads. I also give out an extra surgical bra and a second sert of ace-wraps. I usually try to minimize tape as it pulls on the tissue and can be somewhat irritating. Check with your surgeon to make sure the fluid is normal (foul or odorous fluid is concerning) and give a call if your dressings are soaked.

Dr. Barbara Persons

Barbara Persons, MD, FACS
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon