Can the Same Dr. Remove a Lapband and Do Liposuction at the Same Time? I Need a Referral for the St. Louis Area?

Thank you in advance for responding to my questions. I had the lapband procedure approx. 2 1/2 years ago. It was not successful for me and I would like to have it removed. I would also like to have liposuction to my upper stomach at the same time. If this is possible, can you recommend a surgeon in the St. Louis area? I traveled to Kansas City for the lapband procedure and wouklld like to avoid doing so again for the removal. Thanks

Two different specialties for these concerns

+1

Although I'm all about trying to make life efficient and cost effective, your issues must be addressed separately.  Typically it is a general surgeon who would place/remove a lap band, a procedure with access within the abdominal cavity, around the organs.  Liposuction involves removing the fat outside the muscle layer, under the skin.  A concern I would raise is whether you are a candidate for liposuction.  If you failed the banding procedure, this suggests a higher BMI and larger amounts of weight to lose than the average person.  Liposuction is ideal for those patients desiring to contour their body, thinning areas of excessive fat.  The concern is for having loose skin postoperatively that would cause ongoing problems.  I recommend you look for a Plastic Surgeon in your area certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.  Ask his or her for a referral in your area for removal of your lap band while you are getting your consultation for liposuction.  Good luck!

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon