Is the downtime for Radiesse same as Juvederm? (photo)

I had juvederm several times on my cheeks in the past, 1 syringe per cheek, but they never last more than couple of months, which is very dissapointing, at first they look nice because its swelling then they are gone. So I'm decided to have radiesse this weekend. I healed very well with Juvederm, a bit swollen but people never realized, i wonder if things would go well with radiesse or since it's heavier i might expect more bruise and swelling?

Downtime for Radiesse

+2
Any filler injection into the face can possibly cause some bruising or swelling, but in general, I would say that any downtime for Juvederm and Radiesse would be fairly similar.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm vs Radiesse

+1
Hi! Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS). I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Juvederm and Radiesse both have similar downtime and give the same result. There will always be a risk of bruising and swelling regardless of what filler you choose to get. The only difference between the two is that Radiesse lasts up to a year, while Juvederm lasts about 5-7 months.

Below are some links for additional information and before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Is the downtime for Radiesse same as Juvederm?

+1
I think Radiesse is going to give you an excellent result, downtime should be similar but always prepare for minor swelling/bruising 

RADIESSE vs JUVEDERM

+1
Yes, the downtime for Hyaluronic acid vs Radiesse should be the same. Because Radiesse lasts a year to 18 mos, I prefer Radiesse for the cheeks , cheekbones, nasolabial folds and marionette lines. Fat injection is the ultimate for all these areas because it will be permanent in most cases. YOU ONLY HAVE TO DO IT ONCE.
The downtime for fat injection is longer, about two weeks and the fat has to be harvested, of course.

Ahmet R. Karaca, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Downtime for Juvederm and Radiesse

+1
Downtime for both Juvederm and Radiesse is relatively the same. I always suggest my patients to have fillers injected at least 1 week prior to any important event to allow swelling/bruising (if any) to resolve. 

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Downtime for Fillers

+1
There is no recognized or statistically proven difference in downtime between Radiesse and Juvederm.  The most important determinant of downtime is the skill of the injector, followed by presence of medications which promote bruising (aspirin, vitamin E, fish oil, etc.).  The major differences between Juvederm and Radiesse relate to their active ingredient (hyaluronic acid vs calcium hydroxylapatite), their subsequent ability to lift tissue (superior with Radiesse), and longevity of result (12 months for Radiesse vs 6 months for Juvederm).

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse

+1
Radiesse usually does last longer than regular Juvederm.Depending on the technique used, there usually is little difference between the bruising experienced with Juvederm or Radiesse.
Ask your physician to condsider using a cannula, so that you will have very little bruising or downtime.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Down Time for Radiesse and Juvederm Similar

+1
The downtime for Juvederm Ultra Plus and Radiesse should be similar if all other variables are similar such as injector, technique, aspirin avoidance etc...  Each time you have a filler procedure you have a chance for bruising and swelling.  If your injector uses the same technique with both fillers your side effects should be similar.  I hope you have a great experience with Radiesse. 

Jennifer Janiga, MD
Reno Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
The downtime for any injectable filler should be similar. There is always a risk of bruising after any injection. But that risk is related to the needle/ canula and technique used as opposed to the filler material. Hyaluronic acid fillers should last up to a year (Two years for Voluma) but I have encountered people in the past who did not maintain hyaluronic acid fillers in the cheek area. Radiesse is a reasonable option in that case. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is the downtime for #Radiesse same as Juvederm?

+1
Yes, in my experience - and it's not that extensive for either.  Both are injections and there are, therefore, risks of bruising and swelling, as there are with any injection. 
I also feel that, in many people, Radiesse is better for longer lasting treatment than any of the HAs, including Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm.
I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS