Does the Doseage of Dysport or Botox Change the Effect or Duration?

I was wondering how fewer units for treatment to an area would affect the outcome. Some say it will still paralyze the area but won't last as long, others say it will last just as long but won't completely paralyze the area.

Dosage of botox

+1

The more units that are injected, the longer the result will last. One should only use an appropriate amount and not overdose, as this can lead to unwanted side effects.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Units

+1

Fewer units of Botox will wear off sooner depending on placement- different regions of the face require a specific amount in order to do what it's intended to. For example, the glabella requires a minimum amount of Botox (everyone has different size and strength musculature) to maintain relaxation, but the crow's feet would require less product in general. Treatment is very specialized to the individual.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox injections onto the forehead - Dosage and administration

+1

Suboptimal dosage may not last as long as properly injected Botox or Xeomin injections. The skill of a surgeon is important, as is technique. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Effect of dosage on duration of Dysport and Botox

+1

In general with smaller doses the duration of the treatment will be shorter.  In areas such as the glabella where the muscle is thick and very strong, especially for men and patients who frown frequently, a low dose may also cause incomplete paralysis of the muscle in addition to a shorter duration of visible effect.     

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox and dysport dosage

+1

I will say that you probably do  not  need al ot of either product to get an effect. As long as it blocks the motor end plates you will have a successful long term effect.  Each one works a bit differently but they both last about 3-4 months.

Botox dosage and duration

+1

The higher the dosage of Botox or Dysport, the longer duration to a point. Dosage depends on multiple factors including muscle strength, age, gender and the type of results people want. If treating for example the frown area, I find 36-42 units will last several weeks more than if I inject 20-24 units, and the degree of improvement is better too, but again it depends on who I'm treating. Best to seek a skin & beauty expert like a dermatologist to optimize your results and safety. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Is the result of Botox or dysport unit dependant?

+1

In order to achieve the expected results minimum amount of Botox or Dysport is required. For Botox 2 units and for Dysport 5 unit per site is necessary to paralize the targeted muscles. People's clinical response varies from  patient to patient and also it is gender dependant. Men and muscular women usually require more neurotoxins to see the better and longer lasting results.   

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Botox and dysport dose matters.....up to a certain point

+1

If you do not use enough of these drugs when injecting you can get either lack of efficacy, shorter duration of effect or both. Therefore, skimping is not the best idea. However, using "extra" will get you nothing. I like to start with an amount that is reasonable but on the low side and see what it does and how long it lasts. If it doesn't do enough or last long enough I will change my plan for that patient. If we know in two weeks that we do not have desired effect I bump it up. If it wears too easy, I use more next time. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox Dose Affects Duration of Effect

+1

The higher the dose of Botox, the longer the effect and the better the effect, up to a point. The dose needed to provide the desired result varies from one person to another. Men need as much as twice as much Botox as women to obtain the same result and duration. The dose given and the duration should be recorded so the dose for the next treatment can be adjusted to provide the desired duration and cosmetic effect.

Kevin L. McBride, DDS
Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dosing is directly correlated to longevity for Botox and Dysport

+1

The higher the dosing, the longer the effect from Botox and Dysport.  Having said that, too much dosing can result in a frozen look, drooping of the eyebrows, higher risk of adverse side effects.  So there is a happy medium.  Discuss with your physician before treatment so he/she can get the right balance for you between longevity and desired results.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD