What is the dose of botulinum toxin to be injected for maseeter hypertrophy?

Botox dosing for TMJ

+1
I find that Botox is very helpful in patients with TMJ in whom conservative measures have been unsuccessful.  As with any other treatment site, the muscle mass of the site being treated determines the dose to be delivered.  I usually start with 15 units per side, distributed in the areas of maximal hypertrophy/tenderness.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Dose Of Botulinim-Toxin Injection For Masseteric Muscle Hypertrophy

+1
I inject 25 units per side and it usually lasts 3-4 months. This is a very large muscle and in order to obtain a good result sufficient amount of the toxin is necessary.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Muscle Botox Dose

+1
The dose for masseter muscle hypertrophy varies with the magnitude of the muscle, varies with male or female,  and varies if TMJ symptoms are present.    In general I start with 5 to 15 units per side and I see the patient in 6 weeks.  We then see the effect and decide if additional is necessary.   I find each patient is very different and the dose varies both in number of units and in frequency.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Botox dose for Masseter muscles

+1
I usually start with 6 to 8 units per side and gradually increase based on patient feedback.   The starting dosage will depend a little on the magnitude of your hypertrophy.  The injections are very effective and very simple to perform in experienced hands.

Daniel Yamini, MD

Dose of Botox for Masseter

+1
The effective dose does vary a little from person to person.  6 units per side, is not enough for some of my patients, so I usually recommend 12 units per side, 24 units total, which is the same dose recommended for crow's feet.

Karen Stolman, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for masseter

+1
For the first treatment, 6 units each side, in 3 separate injections is effective in most women.
The location of Botox injection must be carefully selected. Injected too high and your smile becomes unnatural because of weakening the zygomaticus muscles.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD