I'm not satisfied with the closed reduction after nasal fracture. Can I ask the doctor to do a revision before it heals?

Can I ask the doctor to repeat the reduction that was done to nose as the patient wasn't satisfied with the result ?If I felt the closed reduction that was preformed to treat with the nasal fracture was not satisfied to me that much can I ask the doctor to repeat it before it heals and does this help to gain better result?

Closed reduction for nasal fracture

+1
A closed reduction of a nasal fracture is simply a manipulation very soon after the fracture try to put the nose bones back into place. It does not involve osteotomies of the nasal bones. Open reduction nasal fracture with medial and lateral osteotomies are performed to straighten the nasal bones on a formal basis. This is performed through closed rhinoplasty techniques as an outpatient surgical procedure under general anesthesia. Occasionally, a cartilaginous spreader graft is also used if the upper lateral cartilage has been fractured off the nasal bone on the affected side and is creating a concavity or twist to the nose. For many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Closed reduction for nasal fracture

+1
Usually a close reduction's goal is to try to centralize the fracture or push out the depressed nasal bone. Refining a bump needs to be delayed until then use is completely healed( usually within 6 months).

Wait!

+1
Although it may not look like it, noses can be swollen for almost a year following surgery.  Wait until you are completely healed to have anything revised but make sure you voice your concerns to your surgeon.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed reduction

+1
A closed reduction is an attempt to put bones back into place and hope that there will be enough support to maintain it's position. It is often very successful in many nasal fractures but is not synonymous with a rhinoplasty. If you are unhappy with the result it's best to wait and let everything heal and then go back and do a rhinoplasty. That way your doctor is able to sculpt your nose from a stable structure, not try to piece fragments together.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon