Will the Doctor Perform Blepharoplasty at my Age? (photo)

I am 20 years old. I started noticing the bags under my eyes when I was 17 - 18! They are genetics, my mom and my sister both have this condition, same exact form and shape as mine but mine is the most noticeable. This has been bothering me for a couple of years, who knows how many products and make up techniques I have used, but to this day I still find myself staring at the mirror wondering why me. I'm doing the consult for Blepharoplasty and rhinoplasty, and I really hope she agrees to both!

Lower eyelid bags at 20 years old

+2

Hi Parisjaberi,

There isn't a strict age limit when it comes to having blepharoplasty. That being said, in my experience a conservative approach is often best when it comes to addressing lower eyelid puffiness and bags.

In many cases of lower eyelid bags the real problem is actually the loss of adequate soft tissue fullness in the lower eyelid and/or cheek area. This issue can become evident quite early and is often seen even earlier in people who have certain bone structure to that area.

It's hard to say what would be the best approach in your case from just seeing your one photo, but in many cases treating the lower eyelid volume loss is all that needs to be done. This avoids a hollowed out look that can actually be quite aging.

Check out my web reference link below that shows an example of this type of treatment in one of my patients. soft tissue fillers (e.g. restylane) or fat grafting are treatment options. In some cases a small amount of lower eyelid fat also needs to be removed in more severe cases.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/blog/post/using-fat-grafting-to-treat-lower-eyelid-bags

Blepharoplasty in 20 year old

+1

A transconjunctival approach may be reasonable for your age.  Transposition of fat or fat grafting or filler may all be used and are reasonable to create a smoother contour.

Young With Bags Under Eyes

+1

For young patients with bags under the eyes, lower eyelid can be performed through the inside of the lower eyelid. There is no visible incision with this technique. You can get a nice improvement of the appearance of your eyes!

Web reference: http://www.lakeshoreplasticsurgery.com

Bags in the lower eyelid. Am I too young for surgery.

+1

I see your concerns with your lower eyelids. Traditionally, most plastic or oculoplastic surgeons will recommend a transconjuntival procedure in the lower eyelid but there are newer concepts that might sway ones recommendation to a lesser or more conservative procedure. Newer concepts in facial aging look at the role of periorbital structures in the formation of lower eyelid bags as well as the role of aging and removal of too much tissue resulting in a "hollowed out",  appearance later on. I would evaluate you to recommend whether this or possibly fat grafting or a fat transposition is a better option. I don't often remove fat from the lower eyelid with these procedures but reposition it and often add injected fat in the eyelid/cheek junction. Placement of hyaluronic acid fillers are a non-surgical option. Regarding your age and suitability for surgery; age is not necessarily a contraindication. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Fellowship Trained Oculoplastic Surgeon that has a lot of experience with lower eyelid procedures. 

Age for eyelid surgery?

+1

Yes surgery is okay at age 18 to 100 if healthy.  You need a hands on exam.  Send closer photos of just eyes.   You have congenital prolapsed fat and a fat repositioning is the best solution.    Do not have fat removed.  Do not be impulsive.  Seek 3 consults with FACS - ABPS surgeons.  My Best , Dr C

Web reference: http://www.gcommonsmdplasticsurgery.com

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Prolapsed orbital fat.

+1

You do have prolapsed orbital fat, but I would recommend a fat repositioning procedure instead of just excising [removing] the fat. This will redistribute the fat and prevent future hollowing of your eyelids.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Will the Doctor Perform Blepharoplasty at my Age?

+1

Yes, we don't always do blepharoplasty for aging changes, although that is more common. In some families the lower lid fat pads are too prominent and they can certainly be corrected at your age.

Puffy eyes

+1

There is no age restriction on prforming blepharoplasty.  However, it is important for both the patient and surgeon to realize that skin and soft tissues change considerably as one ages.  A conservative approach to lower eyelid surgery in young individuals is therefore important.  Generally, no skin should be removed from younger individuals, while conservative fat reduction can be performed.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bags under the eyes - can be treated with a lower bleph in some cases

+1

Without the benefits of photos, I would say that your puffy lower eyelids may be corrected with a transconjunctival lower bleph - you don't need skin removed, just some peri-orbital fat removed.

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com

Transconjunctival blepharoplasty for congenital bags.

+1

A transconjunctival blepharoplasty is what you should have done by an experienced surgeon. No scar on the outside!