Can the Doctor Use an Insulin Pump During and After Tummy Tuck for Type 2 Diabetes?

can a doctor use a insulin pump during a tummy tuck and after while healing

Diabetes and tummy tuck

+1

This is something you will have to discuss with the prescribing physician for the pain pump, the anesthesiologist and your plastic surgeon.

Make sure that you have medical clearance from your primary care doctor or cardiologist that you are a suitable candidate for anesthesia and a tummy tuck.

Make sure it is okay with your primary care doctor

+1

For me it is more important that your primary care doctor feels you are a safe and appropriate candidate for the tummy tuck.  In my experience we would not use the pump during the surgery and then use it post-operatively.

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

If a patient has an insulin pump to manage diabetes,  then this can be used  around the time of tummy tuck surgery. I am somewhat confused however in that Type II diabetes should not require the use of insulin. In other words, Type II diabetes  should be controlled with medication other than diabetes.

As you probably know,  it will be important to have achieved longer-term control of glucose  prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery. This control can be verified by your primary care physician with the help of laboratory testing.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm