How Do I Know if the Doctor Really Inserted a Chin Implant?

I got a chin implant together with my rhinoplasty about a year ago, but I don't feel the chin implant made any difference, and now I'm beginning to wonder if it was even inserted altogether. How would I check this?

Did the doctor insert a chin implant?

+1

Well, comparing your profile pictures before and after the procedure should show a visible difference.  Alternatively, an X-ray will show the implant.  Usually there is a scar - either inside the mouth or on the chin - where the implant was inserted.  Also, your medical record will show you what type of implant was used. 

Did I Really Get a Chin Implant?

+1

It is good that you cannot feel your chin implant. If you want investigate compare before and after pictures, get an x-ray which will show the implant, or look for an incision under your chin or in your mouth;  you should remember these incisions after your surgery or do you think the surgeon made an incision but neglected to insert an implant? I hope you solve the mystery.

Chin implants

+1

A chin implant shoudl be palpable and an incison in the mouth or under the chin is used. It shoudl be fairly obvious.

+1

Wow, first why don't you trust or believe that your plastic and cosmetic surgeon placed a chin implant?  I have used chin implants for chin augmentation since my internship in 1985 and they should easily be felt both internally and externally.  If you truly feel nothing, then it maybe that there's nothing in there.  You should ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon this question.  You should have an incision under the chin (the preferred route IMHO) or on the inside of the mouth below the lower gums if a chin implant was placed.

Checking for existence of a chin implant

+1

Compare your before and after profile  pictures, they should show some difference in the chin-lip relationship. One can usually palpate an implant however it might take the trained touich of a  surgeon. Lastly, radiologic exam of the chin region should show eveidence of a chin implant.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon