What if Any is the Doctor Charged for the Sculptra Product if the Patient is on the Assistance Program?

I have used your assistance program (thankfully) but it still cost me quite a bit of money due to being told it still cost the doctor to recieve your product along with the doctors fees . Is this standard prodceedure or does it depend on what the doctors decides

Sculptra Patient Assistance Program

+1

The assistance program does in fact provide the product for free to the physician. However, doctors still do charge for the injection itself, which may be more costly than you may expect. This is for a few reasons. One, the product requires additional materials that the physician pays for. Additionally, anytime a patient is seen for an injection, especially something like Sculptra, the physician assumes a risk if an unforseen unfortunate outcome occurs. If you were to experience a bad reaction to the product, have nodules or granulomas or an infection, etc, the physician could lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in a lawsuit. Thus, in order to prepare for such an event, physicians must still charge. 

Hope this helps.

Sculptra patient access program

+1

The Sculptra Patient Access Program provides the Sculptra product, to qualifying patients, when it is used to treat HIV-associated facial lipoatrophy.  The patient's income level determines the amount of the discount on the product.  The physician is not charged for the product when a patient obtains Sculptra from the Patient Access Program, but there is normally a physician charge for the treatment.  This charge would vary from doctor to doctor.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra assistance program

+1

There is no fee for the sculptra received by the office but there are still significant costs involved with injecting the sculptra. I usually charge an injection fee per cc injected based on the amount injected per session. Still a cost savings for you but maybe not quite half price.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

There usually is a charge made by the injector who provides the Sculptra.

+1

The assistance program for HIV patients is truely a terrific program for patients who have facial atrophy.  However, only the materials are provided and the company does not provide any compensation to those that inject it.

Typically there is a fee paid by the patient to the "provider"  for doing the injections.

This is entirely appropriate because the provider must provide all the services he otherwise would give to a patient including record keeping, pre and post injection care; communication with the company to obtainl product, etc.etc.

Each office is free to decide what it will charge and there is a great variation between offices.

We have been involved with this program since its inception and it fortunately has changed very little except they have limited the amount of product available to each patient during a given time.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon