Is the Dilution of Botox Different for the Lower Face Than the Upper Face?

Different Dilutions

+2

The dilutions would depend on the choice of the physician. I feel one needs more precision on the lower face so I use the minimal dilution...adding only 1 cc. There are numerous muscles on the lower face that require precision, thus, I do not want migration of Botox. A baby drooling might be considered cute, but in a babe that can be a real turn off. 

Smiles can be affected if Botox is not delivered properly. Mrs. Chaney and conservative Republicans  might like, her husband's smirky smile, but most Botox patients would strongly object.

On the other hand, in the forehead and crow's feet area, diffusion is beneficial. So, there I add 2.5 cc to my Botox solution. In these areas you want a nice even spreading of Botox. 

So, the answer to your questions is: yes, at least with this injector.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Some doctors use different dilutions of Botox and Dysport for different facial regions

+1

Yes, in some practices, some doctors might use a more dilute Botox  or Dysport for the upper forehead to get diffusion and a more concentrated form near the glabella/eyebrows to minimize the chance of diffusion into the upper eyelid muscles. Most doctors seem to use the same concentration of Botox in the different areas of the face but different doctors can choose to use different dilutions.  What is important though, is the number of units injected per anatomic area.  This is what gives one the result and duration of the Botox and the number of units is the most important data to use to compare the treatment if a patient has had treatment by two different doctors and questions a result from one of them.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox dilution depends on injector preference

+1

Greater Botox dilutions are sometimes used to help with greater Botox diffusion over a treatment area--for example, around broad areas over the forehead, crow's feet, or the armpits.  For treatment of the lower face and around the lips, I often use standard, lower dilution volumes to precisely effect specific muscle groups along the jawline and around the lips.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

What is the Dilution of Botox?

+1

Hi Anon.  We do not know of any injectors that use a different dilution for different areas of the face.  We do know of injectors that use a different dilution than we use, but once an injector has chosen a dilution, normally he/she uses that same dilution everywhere on the face.

It's important to note that dilution is a less important factor when it comes to your results.  The most important factor is how many units were received.  This is a better gauge of whether or not you will achieve your desired results.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox Dilution for Upper and Lower Face Does Not Differ

+1

The dilution of Botox does not differ when it is to be injected in the upper face, lower face or neck. What differs is the amount of Botox injected into the muscles of facial animation to achieve the desired effect.

Anifat Balogun, MD

+1

The dilution should be the same with one exception.  We dilute Botox, Dysport and Xeomin futher when treating the vertical lines around the mouth.

Botox Dilution Does Not Change With Placement

+1

With regards to Botox dilution, it should not vary with where it is going to be injected anatomically.  Every physician dilutes the Botox to the measure that they feel comfortable with.  Some like it more concentrated per ml, while others like a little more volume.  However, no matter what the dilution, the units of Botox or Dysport used is the real key, and this is what can vary depending on the location.  The glabellar region ( between the eyes) generally needs more units that around the eyes for example.  As long as the units are correct, it should mot matter whether that is in 1cc or 2-3cc.  I hope this helps

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Botox dilution

+1

We use the same dilution every time and do not change it based upon the target muscles or location of treatment on the face.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Dilution is immaterial.

+1

Typically doctors use dilutions of 2-4 milliters of injectable saline per 100 units of BOTOX.  This is entirely a matter of personal perference.  There is no reason that this dilution needs to be different between the upper and lower face and it is not.  

Botox injection and its dilution

+1

No definitely not. The conventional and common dilution for botox is 4 units in 0.1 ml of injection. In the muscles of the upper face we inject 4 units in each site. For the lower eyelid and the upper lip I usually start up with injecting 2 units in each site and increase it to 3 -4 units if become necessary.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon