How to Tell the Difference Between a Bruise and a Hematoma After BA? (photo)

I am Day 6 dual plane, 325cc BA (mastopexy 6 months ago). I have significant bruising on the R breast that started on day 3, nothing on the L.The breasts still look the same size to me. I still have some discomfort/pain/tightness feeling, around the bruised area when raising my arms fully. I feel more of a "fullness" in bruised area but no 'lump' exactly. My PS was considering putting a needle in "to see", but I wasn't sure. If there is maybe a small hematoma, is it imperative to drain it?

Probably bruising

+1
Judging from your photos alone, this may only be bruising. The presence of a hematoma is usually associated with unusual firmness, tightness and swelling. It can also be painful. Keep an eye on it and see your surgeon if you are concerned. Best of luck!

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Things look great, a hematoma presents with rapid increase in size and a dramatic increase in pain, otherwise great result!

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Bruising after breast surgery

+1

It looks like severe bruising, but if the skin is very tense and hard you should return to your plastic surgeon immediately to make sure it's not a hematoma.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Hematoma or Bruise After Augmentation

+1

It is nice to see that you are paying attention to your surgery to think to ask this question!  Bruising is not unusual following breast enhancement and is not typically any concern as it will go away just like any other bruise you have had in the past.  It appears from your photos that this represents simple bruising and not a true collection of blood which is known as a hematoma.  However, there is no substitute for seeing your surgeon in person and letting him/her directly examine the area to give you the definitive answer, as photos are not equal to a direct exam.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Bruise or Hematoma?

+1

Thank you for the question and good quality pictures.

Although your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you after direct examination, I think it is most likely that you're dealing with swelling/bruising as opposed to a true hematoma. More than likely these issues will gradually resolve without need for intervention. Close follow upwith your plastic surgeon and avoidance of strenuous activity is your best course of action.

By the way, I think he/she has done a very nice job for you.

Breast augmentation

+1

Always follow the advice of your own Plastic Surgeon.  What I can see from the photos is very common.  After the surgery some of the muscle fibers will bleed and cause a bruise.  Prolonged bleeding that does not stop is called a hematoma.  It looks like a bruise from the photos posted.  I might suggest on my patient to use ice packs and Arnica and Bromoline. After a few days I might suggest on my patient to use warm moist heat over the area.  It should resolve.

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Bruise vs hematoma

+1

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon is in better position to tell what this could be. Examination of the breast is paramount in this situation. It would not help you here if I say it's a hematoma when it's not or say its a bruise when it's a hematoma. You need to follow up with your plastic surgeon. Follow his advice and instructions. I wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Hematoma and Breast Augmentation

+1

I agree with Dr. Gottlieb an exam is irreplaceable.  Based on your pictures it does not look like a hematoma.  Please continue to see your PS and relay on his/her exam and experience.  If it is a hematoma is should be drained because it could lead to infection and/or capsular contracture.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Bruise or Hematoma After BA

+1

Nothing beats an in person exam, but this looks like a bruise, not a hematoma. If it is a small hematoma, it will probably need no intervention, and will absorb.

All that's imperative is follow up with your surgeon.