What is the difference between the non-invasive laser lipo and invasive lipo in terms of fat reduction, side effects and visits?

+1

Let me start by telling you my definition of 'invasive' as this is the underlying theme of your question. If an incision is required, I consider it invasive. So, laser lipo is invasive. It can be just as invasive as regular liposuction, or even more so, depending on how aggressive the surgeon is with the technology. Most plastic surgeons use the laser device to melt fat and separate the tissues to make regular liposuction easier, meaning laser lipo is just as invasive as liposuction, because laser liposuction is using a laser, followed by using regular liposuction.

Fat reduction and number of visits are similar. The main purported advance of using the laser for liposuction is that it can heat the skin and cause the skin to contract more. This is a very good thing for patients who have an excess of skin, as removing fat beneath the skin can sometimes worsen sagging skin in the area.

There are some doctors, especially non-surgeons, who use the laser device alone and under local anesthesia. In general, the results are less, meaning you need more visits to get a similar result. Less fat is removed by using laser alone without following it with liposuction.

In order to tell if you're even a candidate for this, you need to visit with a plastic surgeon with experience in laser liposuction. He or she will be able to weigh any risks and benefits of the different technologies for you.

CDK

Reston Plastic Surgeon