What is the Difference Between a Rhinomanometry and a Nasal Resistance Test? Options For Breathing Difficulties?

Does a rhinomanometry identify which specific structures in the nose are causing nasal obstruction or just whether there is a problem? Are there any other tests that will help identify the cause of breathing problems that are unrelated to the turbinates?

Rhinomanometry and its value

+1

.Rhinomanometry is a test of nasal resistance to breathing. There are 2 types. Anterior rhinomanometry which uses a facial mask and posterior rhinomanometry which uses a body box. Posterior rhino is more reliable, but takes longer and is cumbersome. The results are difficult to interpret and the test hasn't caught on with the medical community. It can however help confirm the clinical suspicion of turbinate involvement. Another test is to decongest the inferior turbinate by accurately and carefully placing an adrenaline soaked Q-tip directly on it. After a minute or so the breathing will be noticeably better if they are involved. This and a detailed questioning and through examination usually can determine the likelihood of their involvement.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinomanometry tests nasal resistance

+1

Rhinomanometry and nasal resistance testing are effectively different names for the same process. In my personal practice, I do not feel like either adds much information relevant to surgical planning that cannot be obtained from physical exam alone.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon