What is the difference between Restylane and Juvederm?

#Restylane vs. #Juvederm

+2

Good question. Restylane and Juvederm are more similar than different. Both are Hyaluronic Acid gel dermal fillers (HA). Both are FDA approved for certain uses. Both have been around a long time.

Restylane is a little more firm (higher G Prime)

Juvederm is a little more concentrated.

I always carry both products because while for many uses either of these fillers can be used, for certain areas one is definitely superior to the other and vice versa.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane versus Juvederm

+1
Restylane and Juvederm are both great products when used for the right patient in the correct anatomical area.  These injections are part art and part science.  It takes years of experience to become an excellent injector.  In general, Juvederm is "thicker" and not as flexible as Restylane.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist  for the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Experienced Injectors Tailor Fillers & Volumizing Fillers According To Location & Particular Needs

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are both FDA-approved hyaluronic acid-based injectable filling agents. Often they are used interchangeably to fill various lines, wrinkles and furrows. However, there are differences in the physical characteristic between the various products, and others that are now available--such as concentration, particle size, ability to layer smoothly, provide lift, and impart durability--that allow experienced injectors to tailor agents to the specific needs of the individual.

For example, Restylane and its more robust relative, Perlane, are good choices when lift is needed. So, for deeper furrows, say around the nose or the angles of the mouth, Perlane might make a good choice and Restylane, a lighter product, might be used for creating or accenting the philtral columns. Juvederm Ultra Plus, which is a smoother product, but more robust than Juvederm Ultra, on the other hand, can be useful for plumping the body of the lips, while the Juvederm Ultra could be used to outline the vermilion border of the lips.

Another hyaluronic acid-based product, Belotero Balance, which has little tendency to cause bluish discoloration when injected superficially, makes a particularly good choice for treating the tear troughs.

Radiesse, an especially robust calcium-based product with good durability (results that last longer) makes a great choice for cheek, jawline and chin augmentations, alone or combined with one of the hyaluronic acid products mentioned earlier. The point is not which product is better, but which ones (either alone or in various combinations) is best for a particular individual. What should be clear is that a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience with all the available fillers and volumizing agents is necessary in order to achieve the best results.  

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Comparing Restylane to Juvederm

+1

While there are slight differences between the hyaluronic acid fillers Restylane and Juvederm, they are all equally quite safe. The differences between each of the hyaluronic acid gel products include particle size, total concentration, and the extent of cross linking. One of the most frequently discussed characteristics of hyaluronic acid gels is its elasticity, represented by the symbol G’ (G prime). A gel with a higher G’ is better able to resist changes in shape and is described as being firmer, harder or more elastic than a gel with a lower G’. Another important property of hyaluronic acid gels is its viscosity, represented by the symbol G’’ (G double prime). A gel with a higher G’’ is thicker than a gel with a lower G’’. Restylane has a higher G’ and G’’ than Juvederm. This means that it is a firmer, more viscous gel which can therefore create more lift and volume. Softer gels such as Juvederm may be more ideal for lips. Understanding these differences in the physical characteristics of the hyaluronic acid gel products should enable clinicians to better predict the clinical performance of these products and to optimize patient outcomes.

The video link shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane

+1

Juvederm and Restylane are both FDA approved hyaluronic acid fillers, The difference in these two fillers is the concentration, the thickness, and the company made by each one. Depending on the area being treated your provider can choose which would give you the best result

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers

+1
Juvederm and Restylane are made out of the same material Hyaluronic Acid. Juvederm is made by Allergan who also makes Botox and Latisse. Juvederm is more hydrophilic than Restylane, which means it absorbs more water that can be a good thing if it is injected into an area where you want a fuller look. Restylane is made by Valiant who also makes Perlane, Sculptra and Dysport. I inject both fillers in my office, after my consultation with my patient I decide which one will work best for the results they are looking for. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist so see which filler will give you the best results.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Difference between Restylane and Juvederm.

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are both hyaluronic acid fillers, but made by different companies. Restylane tends to be a bit firmer and Juvederm tends to absorb more water. In some areas, they can be interchanged, but in other areas, one may be preferred to another. An experienced injector will know which product would be best for you, so consult a specialist who uses both products.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Restylane or Juvederm... Which filler is best for you?

+1

There are subtle differences between these 2 cosmetic fillers, but they are generally discussed in the same sentence because they are very similar. Juvederm is made by the makers of Botox and Restylane is made by the makers of Dysport. They both are FDA approved fillers- useful to plump lips, fill lines, and raise depressions. And they are both priced the same. Without getting too technical, your cosmetic doctor will utilize the subtle differences between the 2 products to give you the best result for the longest duration. There is a fair degree of artistry to successful injections.

One simple example of a difference is that Juvederm is more fluid and thinner. It therefore can be injected with a smaller caliber needle and with slightly less discomfort. It tends to draw more water to itself, however, and can cause unwanted swelling in certain areas that can be unsightly. The under eyes, for example, is one area that I much prefer to use Restylane.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist in your area who will discuss these issues with you carefully and help you select which product is best for you. At The Baltimore Center for Plastic Surgery, we keep no less than 7 different injectable fillers on hand every day because they each have their niche for making faces look their best!

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane versus Juvederm

+1

Aside from the physical properties of these 2 hyaluronic acid fillers, very eloquently discussed by my colleagues, I use these fillers for different purposes. I use Restylane when I need more lift, structural support (cheeks, jawline, chin, around the mouth) or if I absolutely need the product to stay in one place (under eye area). I use Juvederm for a softer look, such as the nasolabial folds and the body of the lip. Good luck.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are both hyaluronic acid fillers used for wrinkle reduction and volume replacement, particularly in the lips. They are used in the same fashion for the same things.

Janet Woodyard, MD