What is the Difference Between a Panniculectomy and an Abdominoplasty?

Difference between a panniculectomy and abdominoplasty

+1

An abdominoplasty lifts the skin of the abdomen from the lower part of the abdomen to the ribs and then pulls the extra down where it can be removed. It leaves the belly button on the abdominal wall which is then brought out through a new hole in the skin. The muscles are also often tightened. This procedure is usually done after pregnancies which have stretched out the skin and muscles of the abdomen.

A panniculectomy removes the excess skin of the lower abdomen which is usually the result of significant weight loss, for example after gastric bypass surgery. Often the belly button is removed as well. Although the muscles can be tightened, in my experience, they usually aren't.

Both procedures leave a scar across the lower abdomen usually from hip to hip. The abdominoplasty also leaves a scar around the belly button. I hope this provides you with the information you asked for.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.