What is the Difference Between Lollipop Lift and 'Short Scar' Lift?

I have been looking at these 2 and really can't see a difference? Can anyone clue me in? Thanks!

Breast Lift

+3

For several years I have been using a 'vertical scar' technique for most breast reductions, which eliminates the long, horizontal incision in the inframammary fold below the breasts. I have also adapted this technique for breast lift surgery, and have been extremely pleased with the results. As with breast reduction patients, this new technique not only eliminates the horizontal incision, but also creates more impressive breast projection and maintains it better over time. The breast lift procedure I perform not only removes breast skin but also moves some lower pole breast tissue to a higher position, increasing the projection of the nipple/areola area.

Breast lift surgery works well for patients with enough existing breast tissue to build a projecting 'breast mound'. However, in most breast lift Raleigh / Durham patients it is difficult to create sustainable fullness in the upper poles of the breasts by means of a mastopexy alone. This is particularly true in patients who have experienced significant deflation following pregnancy and lactation. For patients who indicate that they wish to achieve a fair amount of fullness in the cleavage area as a result of their breast lift surgery, I recommend that they undergo augmentation mastopexy. This surgery combines a breast lift with the placement of a breast implant usually of modest size, which produces the most youthful breast profile possible.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lollipop and short scar lift are terms that are often used to describe the same type of breast lift

+2

Thank you for the question.  Most procedures in plastic surgery often have multiple names that refer to the same surgery.  The lollipop breast lift, the short scar breast lift, the vertical breast lift, and the circum-vertical breast lift can and often are used interchangeably.  It will be important for you to discuss with your prospective plastic surgeon what your goal is and what to expect from surgery.  As long as you achieve the result you want the name of the procedure is really inconsequential.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Lollipop vs. short scar lift?

+1

These terms may be the same. A lollipop incision includes a scar around the nipple-areola with a vertical scar connecting the lower part of the nipple to the breast fold. The short scar is typically a lollipop, but may "tail off" to the side like a "J," or include a very short scar along the breast fold at the bottom of the vertical scar. Your surgeon should be clear about the scars involved in breastlift surgery so your expectations will be set properly. Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Scars

+1

The lollipop lift has a circular scar for the areola and a vertical componet. The short scar lift is probably just the same and called such for marketing purposes

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Confused about Different Names for Breast Lifting Operations?

+1

As you have found, the terms used to describe various breast operations can be confusing,  and not necessarily helpful. Although it will be important for you to educate yourself about the different options available (as well as the potential risk/complications associated with breast surgery), the most important decision you do make ultimately will be your selection of plastic surgeon. This selection, as opposed to selecting a specific operation type, will be critical when it comes to achieving your goals.

Direct physical examination and a full communication of your goals will be  necessary to determine which operation is indicated.

Short scar breast lift

+1

The Lollipop is one version of short scar mastopexies.  It is a very popular option.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Short scar or lollipop

+1

There are different types of "short scar" techniques, and the lollipop scar is one type.  Some people also do a "J" scar which I don't think is as good.  The lollipop scar is the most common, and in my opinion, the best ,short scar method.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

The Lollipop Lift is a Type of Short Scar Breast Lift

+1

The lollipop lift, also known as a vertical breast lift, is so named because of the very visible pattern of the resultant scars around the areola and down vertically to the inframammary fold. The term 'short scar' breast lift is more ambiguous as it doesn't necessarily imply a specific technique and is more of a marketing term. It implies any breast lift method that results in less than that of a full anchor lift which has the vertical and horizontal scars.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Short Scar Breast Lift and Lollipop Lift

+1

They probably refer to the same thing, but a short scar breast lift is not a commonly used term.  Crescent lift, circumareolar, concentric, Benelli, circumvertical, vertical, lollipop, full breast lift, inverted T lift, anchor lift, and Wise pattern lift are popular terms in breast lifting.  Some of these would be considered shorter scar, but the term is nonspecific.

What is the Difference Between Lollipop Lift and 'Short Scar' Lift

+1

A lollipop lift is one with an incision around the areola, and then a vertical incision down to the breast fold. Hence the term lollipop.

I am not sure I have a clue as to what a short scar lift is. The term is used loosely to describe anything short of an "anchor" lift, which is a lollipop with an added incision along the breast fold, hence the term anchor. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.