What is the Difference Between Juvederm and Radiesse?

I have tried both products for my "parentheses " on my face as well as the area under my lower lip and above my upper lip. The results did not last but for a few months. What would you suggest that may be more permanent? I have heard of fat grafting. What is that?

Juvederm v. Radiesse

+2

The difference is in the biochemical formulations; both tend to work in the same areas and can be used interchangeably.  Fat grafting has its risks and benefits but, honestly, nothing is "permanent' in that the aging process will continue, requiring additional treatment over time.  The duration of results is dependent on a variety of factors including the amount injected and injection technique.  I would recommend that you see an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist for these procedures.

The difference between Juvederm and Radiesse

+2

When comparing Radiesse to a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm, it is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers”. When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin, I will almost always use a stimulatory filler such as Radiesse. It is injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. It works by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why Radiesse is so effective for problems due to volume loss, and gives longer-lasting results too. Juvederm is typically injected more superficially, being injected in the skin rather than beneath it. For treating nasolabial folds I have found Radiesse to be much more effective than Juvederm, and studies have shown Radiesse to be longer lasting in this area as well.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Radiesse

+2

Juvederm is a filler that is made of a substance called hyaluronic acid. Radiesse is a filler made of calcium hydroxylapatite. They are generally used for different areas in my practice. The most important question is who injected you? If you did not have a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon do the procedure, then you have a greater likelihood in my opinion that the product was not used correctly. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

Great Question Zora,

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler that has a gel like substance that is injected just beneath the skin to fill in nasolabial folds, tear troughs, and lips to make them fuller. Typically Juvederm can last 6-9 months 

Radiesse is a calcium based product that your own body produces to help stimulate collagen and can help with loss of volume due to age, it can be injected to the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, chin, and pre jowl. Typically Radiesse can last up to 1 year.

Fat Grafting may be your best option to promote a lasting result, this procedure consists of removing your own fat to re implant it where its needed. Without a photo provided you would need a full examination, I recommend seeking an evaluation by a reputable board certified physician who can give you a natural, lasting result you wish to achieve.

Best regards 

Juvederm vs. Radiesse

+1

Juvederm is a dermal filler made of hyaluronic acid used to fill in fine lines and wrinkles, whereas Radiesse is made to stimulate collagen growth. The success of these treatments depends on a couple of factors, including the amount of filler injected, the rate at which your body metabolizes it, and the expertise of the physician who injected you. As it appears your filler results do not last long, fat grafting may be an option for you. Fat grafting utilizes your own fat cells to fill in facial hollows. Unfortunately, the results with fat grafting can be as variable as those with fillers. I suggest visiting a fat grafting expert for a consultation to see if you are a good candidate. The newest filler approved by the FDA, Voluma™ will last much longer than other HA fillers and may also be an option.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers For Lips

+1

Both Juvederm and Radiesse should provide you with results for at least 6 months and up to 1 year. Radiesse is a heavier filler, which is better for deeper lines, while Juvederm is better for treating finer lines and finer depressions in the skin. Fat grafting is also known as a fat transfer and is a procedure in which fat is harvested from the inside of the knees and placed into a designated area. In my experience, about 20 % of the fat survives the transfer.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Radiesse vs Juvederm

+1

Hi! Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid product and comes in two different viscosities- Ultra and Ultra Plus. The Ultra Plus is more viscous and thicker. Both have the option of lidocaine (XC). The positive to hyaluronic acid fillers is the option to use an enzyme called Hyaluronidase if you do not like the end product. This enzyme eats up the hyaluronic acid. Radiesse is a filler made of more viscous material is better for volumizing. The calcium hydroxyapatite is not dissolved with Hyaluronidase, so there is no option to eat up this product should you not like it. It is a great option for cheek building, chin enhancement, as well as very deep wrinkles in the nasolabial area. I would not recommend it for tear troughs, lips, or other very sensitive areas. Best of luck!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS