Is the Difference in Breasts 4 Mth Post Op Due to Assymetry? (photo)

I was an Acup prior to sept BA and was initially thrilled with results, I have put on a few kilos in past few months and am right handed so I wondered if due to physical activity and original assymetry this is normal at this point .Left has dropped and much less fuller than right one. no pain or discomfort at any point since op.

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation

+3

If you perform hundreds of breast augmentations a year, you see all kinds of anatomical variants.  Overall, you have fairly typical breasts.  Very few women have symmetric breasts, and none are perfect.  Take heart in the fact that your symmetry is much better than many women

At the crux of the matter is whether to be happy with what you have now or be willing to accept an additional surgery which could involve at least a circumareolar lift (scar around the areola) and manipulation of the IMF to raise it on the left.  I would say that your surgeon did a good job, and that you have a difficult problem to address.  As always, go to your surgeon with your concerns and listen to his or her opinion.  And please try to keep in mind that no two breasts will ever be perfectly symmetric.

Good luck. 

Is the Difference in Breasts 4 Mth Post Op Due to Assymetry

+2

Thank you for your question and for the posted photos--most helpful.

There clearly is asymmetry in the preops that contributes to current asymmetry. I noe the right breast is larger, its areola is lower, and its breast fold is better formed. All three of these differences contribute to the outcome.

I would suggest patience as the implants continue to settle into position. It is unlikely that modest weight gain or activity play any role in the outcome so far. By six to twelve months, if the differences are bothersome, you should discuss options with your surgeon. 

This is all very subjective, but the asymmetry looks less apparent in the afters than in the befores.

Thanks, and best wishes. 

Concerns about Breast Symmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast asymmetry that you are referring to is nicely demonstrated in your preoperative and postoperative pictures. At this point, 4 months out of the procedure, I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience; evaluate the end results of surgery approximately one year after it was performed.

At that point, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you if you remain concerned about the degree of breast asymmetry.  For example, if breasts implant asymmetry exists at that point,  improved symmetry may be achieved with adjustment of the breast implant pockets or repositioning of the breast implants themselves.

Only embark on additional surgery if the degree of breast asymmetry is significant,  remembering that absolute symmetry of the breasts is rarely achievable.

PreOp Asymmetry carried over into PostOp Asymmetry.

+2

Hello and thank you for your question.

You had a more prominent and developed breast fold on one side prior to surgery (I'm not sure which side is left or right as I'm not sure if this is a mirror image or not).  This has certainly carried over into your post op result.  Once everything is completely stable and there are no further changes, usually 6 months to a year, a slight revision on the tighter side to loosen the breast fold slightly can give you better symmetry.  You otherwise have a very nice result.  Another suggestion is to try to massage the tighter side implant done a little.  Ask your plastic surgeon for suggestions on this.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Fold asymmetry

+2

Thank you for the question and photos.  Some of your asymmetry before surgery certainly has carried on to the post-surgery results which is to be expected.  You do appear to have a little difference in your breast folds.  Waiting longer is a reasonable thing to do at this time as additional changes may be seen.  If no improvement is seen with time release of the tighter breast fold would likely be the easiest.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Asymmetry of breasts

+2

Your breasts had asymmery ( as do all patients), and one breast was more sloped than the other. This is common and the results look nice.

Your breast were asymmetrical before surgery

+2

You have great results based on your before surgery pictures. You before picture shows bigger and lower right breast. You also have mild scoliosis and right shoulder lower. Breast augmentation will make the breast bigger not identical.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+2

You certainly had significant asymmetry pre-operatively.  This is contributing to your current asymmetry.  I note, however, that the IMF (fold under your breast) on your left breast was higher in the pre-op pictures.  It would appear from these pictures that your surgeon may have lowered your left breast IMF in order to achieve symmetry.  The problem with this is that now your nipple to IMF distance is longer on the left and your implant sits lower than on the right.  That's most likely why your left breast feels less full to you - it's sitting lower relative to your nipple on that side compared to the right.

You should discuss this with your surgeon.  Make sure they are board certified.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)