Whats the Difference Between a Columellar Strut and Nasal Spine Augmentation? (photo)

I was and am trying to get the result of whats in the picture. Ive had a premaxillary implant fitted a year ago to improve my nasalabial angle and it has completely ruined my smile, i cant even show my teeth. Plus it still feels a bit uncomfortable and after the swelling subsided the results weren't really that great. I talked to my surgeon about removing the premaxillary implant and having nasal spine augmentation instead, but he recommended a columellar strut, I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Columellar Strut For Nasal Tip Lengthening/Projection

+2

What you are after to achieve your imaged results is tip lengthening with the aid of a columellar strut and tip grafting. Nasal spine augmentation will not increase tip projection but opens up the nasolabial angle which has the benefit of improving a more flattened facial profile.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com

Asian Rhinoplasty

+2

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.  A columellar strut will give your nose more support whereas nasal spine augmentation is to adjust the nasolabial angle.  The photos you provide show someone what has had increased tip projection and dorsal augmentation.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best assist you in achieving the goals you desire.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/asianrhinoplasty

Nasal spine aug v columellar strut

+2

The two do different things but are related

the "spine augmentation " would essentially be a graft located where your upper lip meets the base of your nose at the columella centrally.  It would make the nasolabial angle less acute and decrease your overly sloped upper lip.

the columellar strut would help with that a little but would be more directed at tip support (increased tip projection) and and increasing columellar show to a natural / normal level

if you were to come see me I might suggest both but I think I would stress the columellar strut as the more important of the two .

other issues need to be addressed two in order to get you close to the simulated post op photo.

Nasal spine augmentation

+1

Nasal spine augmentation and a premaxillary implant are basically the same type of implants, usually harvested from either autologous substances (bone or cartilage) or synthetic material (silastic or Gortex).  Both of these bring the entire base of the nose forward at the nasal spine area.  The pictures that are shown display unrealistic expectations.  There is too much augmentation of the nasal spine and bridge that is physically possible to do at the time of the rhinoplasty surgery.

Nasal Spine Augmentation ans Columellar Strut

+1

A nasal spine graft will improve the angle between the nose and the upper lip especially when this junction is retracted. A columellar strut is a graft placed between the nostrils to support the tip and increase tip projection if necessary. I feel you would benefit from both.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

To get the results you desire will require more than a collumelar strut or nasal spine graft. You will need a strut and shield graft as well as rasping of your dorsum. The collumelar strut and nasal spine graft are very similar and only differ on the depth of graft placement. Both are good.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Whats the Difference Between a Columellar Strut and Nasal Spine Augmentation?

+1

I don't like to use pre-maxillarty implants but will augment the nasal spine with crushed cartilage.  A columellar strut is one way to add support and strength to the nasal tip to prevent a droopy tip during Rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Columella strut vs nasal spine graft

+1

A columella strut is used to give support to the nasal tip and to help provide nasal tip projection.,  A spine graft will augment or fill out the lower region of the nose to improve the nasolabial angle in those that have an acute angle.

Columellar strut

+1
A columellar strut will give you more of the effect you are showing in the photograph on the right as your desired result. This will give you a small amount of lift in the nasal tip however this will not fill in the angle between the columella and tip. The aesthetic result you are trying to achieve will determine the diagnosis and surgical procedure needed. Personally as shown I would use a digital imaging computer and show you my proposed aesthetic result and see if we were on the same page and then discuss the procedure needed to attain that result. Best regards!

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Nasal Spine Augmentation VS. Columellar Strut Graft

+1

The pair of lower lateral cartilages which shape the openings of the nose and create the nose tip sit on the nasal spine. Augmenting the nasal spine fills a recessed , pushed in angle between the columella and the lip but does not lift the nose tip. To do so and get the appearance your "after" photograph demonstrates would require a columellar strut. However, this strut will not fill in the angle between the columella and the lip. You therefore may need both.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN