What is the Difference Between Breast Aug. Post-op Massage & Capsule Squeeze Procedures?

I just want to be sure I have not been doing the wrong thing. What is the difference between breast Augmentation post-op massage and capsule squeeze procedures?

Massage after Breast Augmentation

+1

I would suggest that you don't get too hung up on the semantics. Since you have had the procedure I would recommend that you follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations.  Most  likely he/she has recommended massage of the breast implants  which is felt by many plastic surgeons to be helpful in keeping the breast implant soft.  if you have questions about the  specific technique  your plastic surgeon recommends then address those with him/her during your next visit. Otherwise, I'm afraid you will be confused or overly anxious with online consultants' recommendations.

Post-op Massage

+1

Post operative breast massage is designed to help maintain the size of the breast pocket.  A gentle massage should displace the implant in all directions. Capsule procedure are much more aggressive and an old way doctors tried to treat capsular contracture. This is normally not performed secondary to the risks to the patient. 

If you r doctor recommended massage then I suggest you continue.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Massage after augmentation

+1

I usually recommend massage to keep the pocket a bit larger thant he implant. Have I see any studies to support this?  No, but I do not think it hurts, and it intuitively makes sense to me.

Displacement vs. massage is irrelevant

+1

I am not aware of any decent study which demonstrates that implant massage or displacement techniques have any effect on the incidence of capsular contracture.  I have never recommended either for my patients and I almost never see capsular contractures with saline implants under the muscle and less than 5% with silicone implants under the muscle.  The most important thing to do to prevent capsules is to put the implant under the pectoralis muscle. Massage or displace the implant if you want to, but I don't believe that it accomplishes anything.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Difference in massage after a breast augmentation

+1

the massage relates more to a displacement of the implant in all directions in order to keep the pocket that was created open and as large as the surgeon desired for an optimal result. Merely squeezing the implant will really not accomplish that, and is more of a test to see if any scar capsular contracture has formed.

Julio Garcia, MD