What is the Difference Between Artizan Lazer and Ulthera?

I am having treatments with the Artizan lazer for collegen renewal and skin tightening. Would ulthera be the better choice? Can I do ulthera after the lazer treatments.

ARTISAN LASER versus Ultherapy

One benefit in using the Ultherapy device is that in addition to delivering US energy (high intensity focused ultrasound), you can visualize the area where energy is delivered by B mode ultrasound transducer. This is a unique property of ultrasound device that has diagnostic (visualization) and therapeutic efficacy. Lasers do not do that. 

Ulthera versus Artizan Laser

Thank you for your question. Ulthera deposits focused ultrasound energy below the surface of the skin to stimulate the body’s creation of new collagen. As a result, skin will actually begin to lift and tone over time. Collagen is a natural protein that gives skin its youthfulness by keeping it firmed, toned and elastic. It is an excellent treatment, and is also FDA-approved. I would suggest Ulthera instead of the Artizan Laser. 

Ultherapy is cleared by the FDA for skin lifting

The Palomar Artisan laser and other lasers can induce collagen, but that is different from a lifting device such as the Ulthera which was FDA cleared for skin lifting. It does this by contracting the SMAS connective tissue layer that supports the face and also induces new collagen. The deep focused ultrasound energy penetrates to 4.5 millimeters deep, while allowing the doctor to safely see on a monitor, the area they are treating.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon