Is the Difference Between 400cc and 440cc Noticeable?

i am a 22 year old 5"8 and 135 pounds. cup size naturally a32 while on birth control i have grown a cup size to b32.. That being said my doctor suggest 400-440 cc implants i want 440 because they are bigger but is it actually that much of a difference? thanks for your time!

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Choosing The Right Size

+1

Choosing the right size is always a big concern for most patients. You want to get it right the first time, and that's understandable. 40cc is not a huge difference (approximately 3 tablespoons). I find that when I have patients who are torn between two sizes, they're usually happiest with the bigger size. You didn't mention whether you are looking at saline or silicone implants. If you're choosing saline, you could go with the larger size and decrease the size in a simple office procedure if you felt they were too big after all the swelling has subsided. If you're selecting silicone then you would not have this option.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Different sizes

+1

The size of the implant depends on its diameter and shape. Comparing two different implants of the same profile or shape the increasing size is only 3 mm. larger. This is not a very large difference

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Difference between 400 and 400 cc

+1

A 40cc difference in someone who wears a 32A bra vs. for example a 38A bra IS significant. The increases in cup size for individuals with smaller chest circumferences with narrow breast widths will require less volume than someone with a larger chest circumference with wider breast widths. So, it may not make that much of a difference in the larger patient, but for someone who is relatively petite like you, the 40cc difference may increase your bra by at least a 1/2 cup size. Perhaps your plastic surgeon is recommending the slightly smaller implant based on your breast dimensions. Some plastic surgeons do not recommend placing implants with diameters that are wider than your own breasts. When "oversized" implants are placed in the body, they are prone to develop visible rippling. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

You choose

+1

You have been given good information from the other posts.  I see you are 5'8" and with this height you should easily be able to handle 440 cc's.  No one will be able to tell this small size difference except you.  You should choose the size you think will fit your goals.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+1

Thank you for your question. The choice of the implant size is difficult for women planning on having a breast augmentation. For many women, the choice is narrowed to a narrow range, and choosing can be stressful.

There is not much difference between the 400cc implant and the 440cc implant. Most people are unable to see a difference of 40cc afterwards. Keep in mind that 40cc is the equivalent of roughly 3 tablespoons of fluid - not that much. 

While it is impossible to select an implant for you without an examination, I would suggest selecting between the 2 based on your chest width. Pick an implant with a width that matches your chest width. If both sizes are close, and there is only a few millimeter difference between the 2, then either will work. Keep in mind that it is rare for women to wish that they went smaller afterwards and not uncommon to wish that they were just a bit larger.

Either way, best of luck with your augment. 

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Too big or too small?

+1

Choose the 440 if you are concerned about being too small after surgery, choose 400 if you are afraid of ending up too big. Both are close enough in size to be similar in how natural they look.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

+1

A 10 % difference would be on the threshold of being noticeable. 40cc, the difference, is about a teaspoon less than a shot glass. Hopefully you have had a change to try these on or had some imaging to help in the decision.

Without measurement of the breast width I would not be able to say that the size choice is OK or not, but your surgeon can help with that.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.